12 Volt Panel without Switches on 1994 4388-gctid811659

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 Volt Panel without Switches on 1994 4388-gctid811659

I am purchasing a 1994 4388. The 12 volt panel has a main breaker and individual breakers for each circuit but no on off switches for each circuit. I've never seen anything like this and would like to have switches for each circuit in addition to the breakers. My last boat a 1987 3460 had breakers that were also switches. I would like to find breaker switches that will fit on this panel. Has anyone done this or heard of it being done? Thanks, Jack

That does sound odd. What type of breakers are they? Any photos?
    Terry
    1999 Bayliner 3388
    Twin Cummins 4BTA
    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

If they are the circular breakers with the red pop up indicator to show they are tripped that is the standard for the 12 volt side.

I don't know of a switchable replacement and if there was I would hesitate to change them out because there is so many.

My 3988 has 28 of them and have never thought about replacing them.
      "Adios Dinero"
      1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
      Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

yep, that's what they are and there are lots of them. I'll do the work but need to find a compatible breaker/switch

Comment

That's standard on many boats, the DC breakers cannot be used as switches. The switches are throughout the boat. You may be able to replace them with aircraft style push/pull breakers.

The question is why?
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA
          Isla Verde, PR

Comment

This is a large boat with lots of 12v loads. I anchor out a lot and don't want to have to bug my guests to turn the lights out in the head or staterooms. I've also had problems with accessories in the past, like a blown fresh water line. with the switches I can turn off any individual circuit without having to shut down the entire panel. also if you need to work on a fixture, pump, etc it's nice to be able to shut off the one circuit and leave everything else working.

Comment

These circuit breakers can and are also used like switches on both AC and DC circuits on all the 4588 and 4788 Bayliners. I am guessing that this is something like you are talking about....

Northport NY

Comment

I want to do the same as captain Jack and replace pop breakers with on off switches. Smitty, I can not see the switch you have shown. can you re load?

Thanks,

Cpt.Blair
                CPT.BLAIR
                1994 OCEAN 48' Super Sport w/ 775hp Detroits, Hampton, VA
                1983 HATTERAS 43' DCMY w/ 410hp Detroits, Richmond, VA

1993 4387 w/ 250 Hinos - Hampton, VA, SOLD
                1996 3388 w/ 150 Cummins - Richmond, VA, SOLD
                1989 Sea Ray 390 w/454 Mercruisers SOLD
                1983 3288 w/ 3.8 Chevy V6 gassers SOLD
                1984 3870 w/ 135 Mits SOLD

Comment

yes but these breakers do not work the same. You can't pop them manually. They will only turn of in an overload situation.

They are also narrower than the switchable breakers that I have been able to find.

Comment

Have you checked aircraft circuit breakers? They are push-pull breakers and mount in a standard 3/8" hole. Here are some examples:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...rs_klixon.html
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA
                    Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Working...
                    X