Water temperature 3.0l raw water cooling-gctid398011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water temperature 3.0l raw water cooling-gctid398011

I know I saw it somewhere in a thread but with all searching I can't find it any more....

What's the right water temperature for the 3.0 carb'd with raw water cooling? Mine only gets up to ~125F which was only 20F above ambient if I can trust the gauge. Lake water was around 80F. Is this high enough?

140 is what the V8 engines run at. Much higher and the salt or minerals can condensate out in the engine's water passages.

Sometimes people will take the thermostats out of the engine when they have cooling problems. Thermostats are cheap to replace.

Comment

Seems to be extremely low...I would get my hands on a temp gun to see what your thermostat housing is at running temperature. Your gauge may be sticking....

My 2005 3.0 has always ran just a hair above 175 degrees from birth, and that is in some pretty warm water temperatures (Florida).

Too little water temperature can cut into your fuel efficiency.

Happy boating!
      Boating Supplies

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Looked a bit low to me too. I will tap on the gauge next time and see whether it comes up more. We had 105F air temp which I wouldn't consider low temperature either.

Comment

Rocky_Road wrote:
          Seems to be extremely low...I would get my hands on a temp gun to see what your thermostat housing is at running temperature. Your gauge may be sticking....

My 2005 3.0 has always ran just a hair above 175 degrees from birth, and that is in some pretty warm water temperatures (Florida).

Too little water temperature can cut into your fuel efficiency.

Happy boating!
          Same, boating in GA, salt and brackish.

Comment

Chip73 wrote:
            Same, boating in GA, salt and brackish.
            Agreed!

Several seasons ago I noticed that my temperature was only 160 as I was heading out into the Gulf. I knew that this was impossible...and tapped the gauge face and watched it go to it's normal 175. When I got home I orderd a new gauge, and since I was planning another outing in the next few days I pulled my gauge and shot a few squirts of WD40 into one of the rear holes. This freed up the needle for the next trip, but I was more than happy to put the new gauge in.

Analog gauges in a marine environment have a definite 'shelf life'...that is just the nature of the beast!

Happy boating in our sister state (my house is only 30 minutes from the Georgia border)!
            Boating Supplies

Comment

my 3.0 always runs at 175 degrees could be the thermostat isn't closing all the way. try buying a new thermostat there cheap and sure don't last a life time, i'd do that before tinkering with the gauge especially if you haven't changed it in the last few years

Comment

Working...
              X