242 Did Run Good for 45 minutes-gctid811491

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

242 Did Run Good for 45 minutes-gctid811491

2005, 242, 5.7L. Just bought it. All tuned up, tank topped off. Ran good for first 45 minutes at 4000 rpms then all of sudden motor slows down/boggs and then dies. Starts up, put in gear, little throttle and dies.. Thank God for Towboat US.

When I bought boat tank had 3/4 tank. I know for sure boat sat on trailer for 2 seasons could be longer. Can't ask owner, not on this earth any longer. I did add Seafoam and Marine Sta-bil before topping off tank. Installed a drainable water fuel filter.

Bad, stale fuel? Bad fuel pump?

I am thinking of attaching an outboard fuel tank to fuel line with new fuel and test.

My knee jerk reaction is a clogged fuel filter or, if your motor has an electric fuel pump, there is an oil pressure activated switch that can go bad. When that happens, the fuel pump runs during the starting sequence, but is switched to an oil pressure activated system once the engine starts. If the switch is bad, the carb fuel bowl goes dry about the time you would put it in gear. The sensor is located above the oil filter block fittings.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

+1, good idea to meter the fuel pump while starting & after
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

Start simple.....sat for 2 seasons? Fuel filter is easy and cheap. I'd start there and see what happens.

Fill it with fresh gasoline....NO E-10
        Vic Stewart SN
        Past Commander
        Cape Fear Power Squadron
        Ft Myers Power Squadron
        1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
        Raw water cooled

Comment

Fuel filter is brand new.

I will drain fuel out. Fill with new fuel. Check fuel filter at carb. still not working go to oil sensors and fuel pump

Comment

Check the vent
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"cant decide" post=811507 wrote:
              Fuel filter is brand new.

I will drain fuel out. Fill with new fuel. Check fuel filter at carb. still not working go to oil sensors and fuel pump
              Two things come to mind:

A plugged fuel line from something foreign in tank. I once cleaned a tank that someone had syphoned from and left long lengths of rubber from pulling a garden hose in and out.

As Chief said, a plugged vent.
              "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
              MMSI: 367637220
              HAM: KE7TTR
              TDI tech diver
              BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
              Kevin

Comment

Sounds like your on the right track. It could also be a plugged fuel tank vent. To test run it briefly with the fuel fill cap removed.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

My first thought also, a plugged fuel tank vent. to test, run it with the fuel fill cap temporarily removed.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556
                  Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                  X