Changing Oil Filter on 5.0 Carbed-gctid397971

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Oil Filter on 5.0 Carbed-gctid397971

The oil filter on my 219 is sooooo hard to get at (really, I can't - my skinny son with longggggggg arms has to struggle with it), outside of having a remote installed,

are there any tricks others use to deal with this problem???

none that i know of.

Comment

I managed it.... once.Remote now installed...

Comment

Did you install the remote yourself or have it done? Cost?

Comment

There are quite a few methods and quite a few kits out there. I'd steer clear of the inverted filter kits.
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thought I'd go with a Mercruiser kit. My mechanic estimates $800 to install it, having to pull the motor.

My son thinks all it would take is to pull the filter, install the adapter and hoses, mount the remote, and secure the hoses against vibration.

Says if he can get at the filter to change it, he can install the adapter, etc.

Thoughts?

Comment

I think your son is on the right track.... Pulling the engine to install something which just goes in place of the oil filter? Does your mechanic always pull the engine when he does an oil and filter change?

Sure, some of the engine installations are made in a way that the designer should make the filter (or other component) change lifetime for free but this shouldn't be a license for mechanics to rip us off. I fell for one of these vultures once but he didn't make it past the estimate. Hocked the trailer to the car and went to the next one who did the same job for half the price and without taking the boat apart.

Comment

Working...
              X