350 mag MPI distributor question-gctid811312

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

350 mag MPI distributor question-gctid811312

So I'm sitting at the dock in Prevost harbor go to fire up the boat and it cranks and won't fire. Had the same problem on my last trip last fall and replaced the idle air control valve. I've started it in several occasions since then and always fired easily. A retired marine mechanic was on the dock two boats down, and came over to help. Once we got it started it ran fine and restarted when warm. Initial diagnosis was it had flooded after cranking too much.

He checked the spark and noticed it was orange instead of blue. Jim's recommendation was to replace the distributor cap and module. I have the flat "scorpion" style distributor cap. Based on his description the module should be right under the cap. I've found some exploded diagrams online and see a "sensor, Hall effect camshaft position". Does any know if this sensor can be replaced without removing the distributor shaft assembly? It does not appear so in the diagrams. I don't think I have the time or skills to remove the whole distributor.

It dawns on me I should have gotten Jim's phone number!

Thanks
    2002 Ciera 2855

Can you give us a bit more more info?

Meanwhile, I'm going to suggest that your ignition system "triggering" is done via Photo-Eye.

And....... if you have a Hall Effect position sensor, it is likely at the crankshaft.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It is a hall effect cam position sensor.

Replace all 8 spark plugs, cap & rotor, sensor can be replaced once you remove the rotor.
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

Working...
      X