X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

volvo penta 290 bent shaft-gctid811125

I have a vp 275 outdrive and wanted to convert it to a

dou prop.

i purchase a lower 290 dou prop but it got amage in shipping. The end prop shaft is bent badly and the threads for the cone also damaged .Everything else

seem to be in working conditions

I would like to know form.anyone if i could just replace the end prop shaft or would the complete unit have to be rebuilt

thanks japato11

To Replace the shaft would mean a re shimming of the new shaft at the very least and new seals.

You may be able to have the shaft removed and straightened though. How bad are the threads damaged?

IF you do replace the 275 with the 290DP you will need to use 75/90W gear oil.
    Pat. Sandpoint Ida
    I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

THIS BAD

Do i get a mechine shop to straight it out or is

it something i could do.

If i can not straighten it out can i buy one

or do i need to get both shafts so they will

match.

Attached files

Comment

"japato11" post=811125 wrote:
        I have a vp 275 outdrive and wanted to convert it to a Dou Prop.

I purchase a lower 290 dou prop but it got damaged in shipping. The end prop shaft is bent badly and the threads for the cone also damaged .Everything else seem to be in working condition

[color]blue wrote:
        Let's first identify the Duo Prop unit. (need more photos)

It could be an early '83 DP, a 290 DP, a DP-B or DP-C, DP-C1, etc. series.

BTW, during manufacturing, these gears are machined and pattern matched as a 3 pc set, therefor they cannot be swapped with other gears, etc.

All three must remain together.

The FWD prop "driven" gear and prop shaft are integrated..... meaning that the gear is welded to the large prop shaft.

[/color]

I would like to know form.anyone if i could just replace the end prop shaft or would the complete unit have to be rebuilt

[color]blue wrote:
        Depending on where and how severely the AFT prop shaft is bent, it might be a candidate for straightening by a qualified machinist.

Otherwise, it would need to be replaced with new one! [/color]
        "japato11" post=811125 wrote:
        THIS BAD

Do i get a mechine shop to straight it out or is it something i could do.

If i can not straighten it out can i buy one or do i need to get both shafts so they will

match.

[color]blue wrote:
        Go to the BOC Vault and look at my Special Puller Tool design for removing a prop shaft bearing carrier.

You will want to build this puller tool. (shops typically use a slide hammer......... NOT Good!)

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...equent-q-s-a-s

[/color]
        [color]blue wrote:
        This shaft is pressed into the front driven gear (of which is actually the AFT prop driven gear).

The shims at the front driven gear bearing control gear position and gear pattern.

The step in the shaft (with the oem shims) sets the rear driven gear bearing position .

The step in this shaft can be precisionally measured, allowing for shim value changes based on the measurement.

The driven gear must be removed from the vertical shaft.

Once that is out of the way, the front gear and shaft as a unit can be removed.

The gear will be pressed from the shaft.

Once the gear has been removed, you'll have two choices:

A...... see the shaft can be straightened (.003" max run out allowed) If so, no need to change any shim values.

B...... a new shaft would be installed.

Here is an exploded view. [/color]

[img ]http://www.marinepartseurope.com/PentaPictures500/9813.jpg[/img]

[color]blue wrote:
        Here is my image of the AFT prop shaft "step" or "shoulder" that would require precision measuring.[/color]

[attachment]36954 wrote:
        Duo Prop inner shaft.jpg[/attachment]

Attached files

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Have we lost the OP on this one?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Not the op but have a bent inner/aft shaft total runout is 15 thousands. To remove inner shaft the drive gear needs to be removed from the vertical shaft. This is held on with a nut so I just remove said nut and gear or does the shaft itself interfere and need to be raised out of the way?

Comment

Working...
            X