Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting Downriggers on a Bayliner 4087

Hi,

I have purchased two long arm Scotty Downriggers and pedestals for my Bayliner 4087. I am looking for some advise on where is the best place and best way to mount them. Any help would be appreciated. Also any recommendations on the best way to slow the boat to a trolling speed? I have read using 5 gallon buckets or anchor socks.

Thanks

"tashmark" post=811060 wrote:
    Hi,

I have purchased two long arm Scotty Downriggers and pedestals for my Bayliner 4087. I am looking for some advise on where is the best place and best way to mount them. Any help would be appreciated. Also any recommendations on the best way to slow the boat to a trolling speed? I have read using 5 gallon buckets or anchor socks.
    I would put them on the siderails as close to the transom as possible, at least within a foot or so. Even though you have the extendable type, this will make turning much easier, especially in a current.

I'm guessing you have twin engines. You should be able to troll on one engine at 1-3kts.

I would stay away from dragging anything behind your boat. As Murphy will attest, that's where a fish will inevitably go to wrap your line around and break free.

What do you plan to fish for?
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

Trolling from your 4087 is going to be a challenge. Communicating between the cockpit where you are fishing from and the helm is going to be problematic, particularly if you are in close quarters with other boats.

Having said this, mount your downrigger pedestals near the back corner of your cockpit. Run on one engine while you fish.

I would be interested to hear how this works for you - I am having the same dilemma with our 3587.

Ron
      Midnight Star
      1996 3587
      Twin diesels, Hino 250's
      Ladysmith, BC
      History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I plan on Salmon fishing and I think the anchor bags are actually on Midship or more forward but I am still" fishing" for the right set up. Don't know if its ok to fish with one motor only as the prop on the second will still spin and I haven't researched that yet. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Did you manage to use your down riggers for salmon fishing? I also have a 4087 and concerned that even with one engine running the trolling speed would be too fast for Salmon. Have you had success fishing salmon on your 4087. Also I haven’t mounted my downriggers and are you happy with the location near the very rear corner of the cockpit?
          thx for any advise.

Comment

I am doing the same. I mounted mine on the cockpit railing about a foot from the transom. Trolling with one motor I do about 3 knots in my 3270. I put the mount for my pot puller on one of the Scotty bases. Bolt holes are perfect.

Havent bagged a salmon yet though! Got some nice prawns.
            Glen Sherwood
            1987 3270 twin 305’s
            Coupeville, WA

Comment

Working...
            X