need help asap-gctid810988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help asap-gctid810988

i had an ablative bottom paint on my boat.the guy i hired put hard fiberglass xxx on top which is not compatible

tomorrow im blasting the bottm

how far should i go

up to old ablative ?

up to the old primer ?

up to the gelcoat ?

whats next ?

i will be on the water all year in the fraser river bc (shelter island marina)

i lost already $1100 for this bottom paint but this time i want to do it properly

so my question is

after blasting what i should do ?

sand the remaining with 80 grit ?

then whats the next step ?

right now i have fiberglass xxx over the ablative paint of which i dont know

im blasting those two paints so i could apply a proper paint for my conditions

in the marina they recommend interlux csc but im not going to use the boat very often

Thank U for any comments

My opion as a professional auto painter in my past life. If you put paint over another and it wasn't compatible it ALLas to come off. The new and the old as the new non compatible paint chemically damaged the old paint and it's bond.
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

thank u but this is not auto body

i asked specific questions about boats and anti fouling paints of which boat owners could give me the the answers if the like to do it

Comment

"andrew 1" post=810990 wrote:
        thank u but this is not auto body

i asked specific questions about boats and anti fouling paints of which boat owners could give me the the answers if the like to do it
        The principles may still be the same but I'm no expert. You may wish to reach out to neilw who owes or operates a marina and has passed his knowledge on bottom paint many times on this forum. Good luck and keep us posted.
        "Martini's Law"
        1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
        Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Yachtman is correct. Not sure what the fiberglass xxx is you noted in your original post, but you need to take it back to the gelcoat then apply at least 2 coats of bottom paint. If it were me, I would not breath the paint coming off. It is nasty stuff.

Personally, I like ablative bottom paint. That is what is on my boat in salt water year around. It works very good. But, your location (asking your dock neighbors) will dictate what is working well in your area.
          1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
          S. Puget Sound

Comment

"andrew 1" post=810988 wrote:
            put hard fiberglass xxx on top which is not compatible
            Are you referring to http://www.yachtpaint.com/can/diy/pr...ottomkote XXX, or http://www.yachtpaint.com/can/diy/pr...ss Bottomkote?

If Bottomkote XXX, http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData... /> read this.

If Fiberglass Bottomkote, http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData... /> read this.

Both of these can be applied over existing bottom paint, as long as the paint isn't loose or flaking. Not sure what your issue is.
            "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
            MMSI: 367637220
            HAM: KE7TTR
            TDI tech diver
            BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
            Kevin

Comment

after the blasting today i will go with

Pettit Protect High Build Epoxy Primer (only 2 coats needed )

then

2 coats of pet tit horizons

pettit protect requires 2 coats of paint compare to 5-6 coats of interlux 2000e

then i can paint with 2 coats pettit horizons

thats my findings

whats ur opinions ???

Comment

"andrew 1" post=811086 wrote:
                after the blasting today i will go with

Pettit Protect High Build Epoxy Primer (only 2 coats needed )

then 2 coats of pet tit horizons
                How far did you take it down?

Have you checked the BC regulations regarding using Copper based bottom paint? Horizons has 40.5% Cuprous Oxide.http://www.cleanboatingfoundation.or...t in WA State. By January 1, 2018, it will no longer be allowed to be used on boats under 65'.
                "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                MMSI: 367637220
                HAM: KE7TTR
                TDI tech diver
                BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                Kevin

Comment

to the gel coat

this paint sells for canada only

Comment

Working...
                  X