High Hours a worry or not-gctid810889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Hours a worry or not-gctid810889

Well as some may know I am trying to buy a 5788. I have an accepted offer on one, but it's getting tricky in the closing stages with some complications- long story...

So a guy I know is selling one- very nice boat but it has 3000 hours on the Man 610s. by all accounts they have been very well maintained, I need to look at records but the owner referenced th PO spending close to $50k on maintenance in the last 2 years and I know the current owner also just had a 10k service.

So what's the verdict. is 3000 hours too much to consider the boat if it's been well looked after? I know it will definitely put a future buyer off from buying. I am leaning towards maintenance is more important than the hours on them.

Thoughts?
    BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
    5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
    Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

"simbad" post=810889 wrote:
    Well as some may know I am trying to buy a 5788. I have an accepted offer on one, but it's getting tricky in the closing stages with some complications- long story...

So a guy I know is selling one- very nice boat but it has 3000 hours on the Man 610s. by all accounts they have been very well maintained, I need to look at records but the owner referenced th PO spending close to $50k on maintenance in the last 2 years and I know the current owner also just had a 10k service.

So what's the verdict. is 3000 hours too much to consider the boat if it's been well looked after? I know it will definitely put a future buyer off from buying. I am leaning towards maintenance is more important than the hours on them.

Thoughts?
    Not familiar with the boat, but if it is a diesel, you are good to go for at least 10,000 hours, providing you use clean fuel, regular oil changes and ...you know the drill. If it is gas, 3000 could be okay, but you should get a thorough mechanical survey done on it. It's well worth the money. At minimum, if there isn't a problem, you are in great shape. If there is, you can renegotiate your final price.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

"So a guy I know is selling one- very nice boat but it has 3000 hours on the Man 610s. by all accounts they have been very well maintained, I need to look at records but the owner referenced th PO spending close to $50k on maintenance in the last 2 years and I know the current owner also just had a 10k service."

IMO - there will not be enough owners of these engines with enough hrs to get a good feedback on these engines. I would post and read on other sites like boatdiesel, yachtowners forums , and some of the offshore fishing sites to try and get this type of feedback. All diesels are far from equal when it comes to hours, engine life and maintenance and your best bet is to hear back from owners with 610 Manns that have reached 3,000 hrs. If that quote above indicates $60K over two years that is more inline with what other owners have expressed to me in the recent past.

Good luck and hope this helps
      Northport NY

Comment

I think with a diesel, and gas engines too, it depends on how it was run for those 3,000 hours. Cruising around at hull speed are easy on an engine. 3000 hours running at 22 knots is knot.

Can you get a printout on those engines that show hours spent at what rpm's?

And what was the repair work for?
        Esteban
        Huntington Beach, California
        2018 Element 16
        Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
        Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Going to go through the maintenance history with the seller tonight hopefully.

Personally I think those 610 mans will take 3000 hours in their stride as long as they have had the proper care and they seem to have had that. I spoke to a mechanic who works on them a lot and he told me it was no issue at all.

Personally I think the bigger issue is at resale. When a potential buyer sees 3000 hours on expensive engines they tend to click 'next' rather quickly. Even I likely do that when I don't know the boat.

Everything is a trade off !
          BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
          5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
          Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

RESALE ?? Are you buying the boat to use or are you planning on flipping it?

IF the next wanna-be buyer asks the same questions you are, there is going to be a serious examination of the maintenance records as the top priority.

Assuming you want to really use this vessel, I suggest you go through the usual survey routine, have a mechanic give the Mans a good inspection, then buy it and maintain the hell out of it. If you are like most of us, your next boat will again be ten feet longer. The price of that one will be negotiated and the resale value of this 5788 will be what it will be.

Happy boating.

Comment

Working...
            X