Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definetely not a good boating day today-gctid810550

Well not such a good day today.

Went down the boat this afternoon and discovered that the boat was doing a submarine impersonation.

Quickly rang the insurance company (youi) and they arranged to have it pulled from the water within 2 hours.

In the meantime had the pumps running to remove the water however there was over 25 cm (1 foot) of water downstairs and the new carpet is ruined along with the gen set, motors, Air cond unit, batteries, and the list goes on and on.

Must admit to being a tad shattered by this event as I have just completed 18 months work on restoring my pride and joy and happy place.

At this stage I cannot identify the cause of the water ingress but going down with the assessor tomorrow where she is sitting on the hard and have a good look and will report back

Think I might have a Gentleman Jack tonight or three.

Any idea as to why your main bilge pump was not able to keep up with the water intrusion volume?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Excellent question.

After pumping out the bilge the new float switch was in the fully up position .

When I hit the aft bilge pump switch on the dash panel the pump immediately started to discharge the water,

Also why didn't the forward bilge pump kick in?

As soon as I hit the manual switch for the forward pump it immediately started working?

I also checked if there was power to the aft float switch and there was!

Comment

"ozbucko" post=810556 wrote:
        Excellent question.

When I hit the aft bilge pump switch on the dash panel the pump immediately started to discharge the water,

As soon as I hit the manual switch for the forward pump it immediately started working?

You are describing a float switch failure

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

"ksanders" post=810602 wrote:
          Excellent question.

+1, ....but there are more pressing problems than that. With a 47' boat, you should have at minimum 3 bilge pump systems hardwired, with at least 2500-3500GPH pumps. Even then, the amount of water coming in means there is a very large hole (or holes) somewhere.

Also, do you have backflow preventers in the event your pumps fail? Otherwise, your outflow becomes your inflow the moment your thru-hulls go below the waterline. Most boats - like mine - have a loop in the hose that goes about a foot above the thru-hull. But if you don't have those, that can happen. Might want to check them.

UPDATE: My bad. Just looked through your history and discovered you have a '91 Avanti 3555. Might want to put that in your signature space. I'd still want 3 bilge pumps, .....but that's moot now. However, ....I feel your pain.
          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
          MMSI: 367637220
          HAM: KE7TTR
          TDI tech diver
          BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
          Kevin

Comment

Oz, I remember your previous post , so after all she was taking on water...
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Oz, I guess that means you won't be replacing your potable water tank, eh? Sorry for the gallows humor, just trying to get you to smile a bit amongst the destruction. We are terribly sorry to hear about the sinking. Have a Gentleman Jack or a VB and relax, you have been relieved of command for the present.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Just a reminder your boat will have a lot of electrical problems in the future. Keep that in mind when you discuss repair or replace.

Bummer it happened.

Doug
                Started boating 1955
                Number of boats owned 32
                Bayliners
                3870 presently owned
                Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

What a sad thing to hear, good luck with the repairs. Glad no one was injured and your pride and joy may be brought back to life?!?!?
                  2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
                  Seattle, WA

Comment

"CptCrunchie" post=810611 wrote:
                    Excellent question.

+1, ....but there are more pressing problems than that. With a 47' boat, you should have at minimum 3 bilge pump systems hardwired, with at least 2500-3500GPH pumps. Even then, the amount of water coming in means there is a very large hole (or holes) somewhere.

Also, do you have backflow preventers in the event your pumps fail? Otherwise, your outflow becomes your inflow the moment your thru-hulls go below the waterline. Most boats - like mine - have a loop in the hose that goes about a foot above the thru-hull. But if you don't have those, that can happen. Might want to check them.

UPDATE: My bad. Just looked through your history and discovered you have a '91 Avanti 3555. Might want to put that in your signature space. I'd still want 3 bilge pumps, .....but that's moot now. However, ....I feel your pain.
                    Huuuu???

I'm not sure you quoted the right person.

I have a 4788 right now. Never owned a 3555.

I think the OP has experienced a float switch failure.

I agree that a large amount of water is a serious concern, since none of my boats bilge pumps operated on a regular basis.

If a boat is taking on water at a rate that would result in a foot of water in the cabin during a reasonable interval between in person checks, there is a problem that needs solving.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

[quote]"ksanders" post=810602 wrote:

Since both of the bilge pump failed, it is unlikely that both bloat switches failed at the same time. It must be something common to them, such as the supply electrical source common to both of them, just as Rick suggested.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Good luck in your repair effort.

Joe
                      1986 2850 Commend Bridge on hydrohoist
                      A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit

Comment

[quote]"jmcajmca" post=810805 wrote:

Since both of the bilge pump failed, it is unlikely that both bloat switches failed at the same time.

It must be something common to them, such as the supply electrical source common to both of them, just as Rick suggested.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Good luck in your repair effort.

Joe
                        If you think about the OEM electrical circuit, where the float switch connects 12 volts to the exact same place as the dashboard switch, then absent of a owner mis wire job to Both pumps, the float switchs are the only components that could have failed.

The OP said he has power to the float switch. He has not indicated if power is getting through the float switches.

A Very plasuable theory,.. and one I've seen more than once... is that both float switches failed at probably different times. Possible years different even. Then, when a leak started and he really needed the bilge pumps, they failed to operate.

Not saying that is what happened, but it is a very plasuable theory.

How many here test their bilge pump float switches regularly? I do, but I'm psycotic. :sick:

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

OK, I can buy the very plausible explanation that, over some period and at different times, the two float switches have failed. But, that appears to be less than half of the story. Where did the water intrusion occur, and how fast was it plus how long was the boat left in water without anyone noticing changes?

In any event, this is a sad, sad situation.
                          Retired, computer expert / executive
                          Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                          Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                          D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                          [email protected]
                          [email protected]

Comment

What a few weeks.

Insurance company states they will not be covering the damage as their opinion is that as one of the bands around the Bellows failed and allowed the vessel to founder as a result of water coming in through the bellows where they are glued with adhesive to the transom shield.

Their opinion is that the clamps should be replaced yearly and mine had been done at 7 month interval on one leg and 17 months on the one that failed. Therefore no claim. My legals and broker are not letting this issue go unchallenged.

However out of every negative comes a positive.

My situation is that the engines are ok. Starter motors and alternators need replacing. Genset was doing backstroke and the new back end is trash as will the starter motor etc so unsure of what strategy to adopt with this item.

When I pulled the boat from the water I pumped out the forward compartment and discharged over 4 ton of water.

3 weeks later and I still get salt water in the forward bilges. 1 gallon after 4 days probably draining from stringers etc.

I will replace all these items and wiring that was underwater plus replace gimbals, shift cables bottom helmet pins etc, put her back in the water and go from there.

I have had a dehumidifier running from the day after it was pulled from the water and it has been very effective.

So what did I find out in regards to the float switch failure? The CB on the master switch had popped but the button was not prominent and barely proud of the fitting.

Lessons learn't are plenty and I suggest all check their bilge pumps and floats and ensure all of the bilge pumps are working and hard wired

Where to from here? another major refit..

Comment

That bellows clamp is not supposed to be replaced yearly!

Those should be replaced every time you replace your bellows, a few years maybe.

I'm wondering, if it was the FWD clamp or AFT bellows ring
                              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                              93 3058 sold
                              92 2855 (day boat)
                              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                              Longbranch WA
                              Life is Good

Comment

Working...
                              X