WiFi Extender Question-gctid810171

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi Extender Question-gctid810171

I'm sure this has been covered, but figured I need it dumbed down so I can understand it.

they have wifi at my marina, but it is either a poor quality or very far away.

my question is: can I get something relatively cheap that can boost or amplify it?

Just looking for something I can plug into the wall to help when on the internet searching for parts or supplies.

Thanks all!!!

I have had poor results with "extenders".

Instead, I open my "personal hotspot" on my phone and laptop works great....i even stream security camera video. This does use up data so you may wish to increase data plan or sign up for unlimited data.

Good luck... ...be safe.

Comment

I have one of these and it works great. You can create your own private boat WiFi and connect it to either your Marina WiFi or tether to your phone. https://www.amazon.ca/GL-MT300A-Ext-...ywords=openwrt

There is a version with a higher power antenna as well: https://www.amazon.ca/KuWFi-1200Mbps...ywords=openwrt
      Terry
      1999 Bayliner 3388
      Twin Cummins 4BTA
      Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
      Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

I have one of these,bought it last year and it works great I get wifi from miles away REDPORT HALO LONG RANGE WIFI EXTENDER SYSTEM Just search Redport on google you should be able to find it.

Comment

[quote]"bobmorgan" post=810266 wrote:
          I have one of these,bought it last year and it works great I get wifi from miles away https://cbocmarine.com/home/21788-re...XTENDER SYSTEM Just search Redport on google you should be able to find it.[/quote

Wow that is pricey for an extender. Any chance of getting more details on what kind of wifi you actually get on your boat? KBPS or MBPS and distance from the wifi antenna to your boat. Are you able to stream video with it? IP Camera's? That sort of detail? That's a hefty investment.
          2001 Cierra 2855 Moored at Hylebos Marina, Tacoma, WA. Retire Army. Works at SeaTac International Airport.

Comment

"bmetros" post=810171 wrote:
            they have wifi at my marina, but it is either a poor quality or very far away.

my question is: can I get something relatively cheap that can boost or amplify it?
            If it's poor quality, there's not much you can do. If the problem is just that it's very far away, and your boat is relatively stable, try one of these (2.4 or 5 GHz depending on what your marina uses. 5 GHz has much less interference.)

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nano.../dp/B00HXT8FFI

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-0000.../dp/B004EHSV4W

It's a directional antenna, but has a fairly wide beam (60 deg horiz/vert for the M2, 45 deg for the M5) so isn't impossible to aim and you won't lose the signal every time the boat sways. With two pointed at each other, you can shoot a signal over several miles. With just one you can probably get a few hundred feet (I've used one to connect to a hotspot about 200 ft away; haven't tried further). It's got a lighted meter in back which tells you signal strength, making it easier to aim (the 200 ft one showed full strength - all lights lit).

They use power over ethernet, so you can mount it high up o an arch or something with only an ethernet cable running to it. Bridge mode will make the device you plug into the ethernet cable look like it's connecting directly to the marina WiFi. Multiple devices if you plug the ethernet cable into a switch. Router mode will add a NAT layer (makes it function like a typical home router, with the marina WiFi being the WAN port providing Internet, and the ethernet cable being a LAN port). If you wish, you can plug the ethernet cable into a typical home router's WAN port and use that router to provide WiFi for your boat for your phone, tablet, etc. That will work in bridge or router mode, though in router mode you'll be double-NATed so there's more chance some Internet stuff won't work.

It's very flexible and very reliable in my experience. But the initial setup is atypical and a bit geeky, so be sure to read the setup instructions carefully.

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/NanoStati...Loco_M_QSG.pdf

https://dl.ubnt.com/docs/M_Series_Beginner_Guide.pdf

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/airOS/airOS_UG.pdf
            1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

[attachment=36708]InLine4720[1].JPG[/attachment] [attachment=36708]InLine4720[1].JPG[/attachment]Or mount a Ubiquiti bullet and antenna on your boat.

Attached files

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Wifi extenders work great. But you get what you pay for, so a $30 ebay special will not get you much. The ubiquiti bullet extenders all pull in many more access points than a normal laptop can see. I had an Rogue Wave Pro unit that has a great user interface to connect to signals (click scan-click connect - surf). Other ubiquiti bullets can be more challenging to connect as you need to modify computer settings.

I now have an Aigean wifi extender that is very similar to the Rogue Wave but can connect to both 2.4GHZ and 5.0GHZ signals.

My Rogue Wave Pro is for sale if anyone is interested.
                Pat
                Paragon
                1999 4788

Comment

[quote]"eddya" post=810268 wrote:
                  "bobmorgan" post=810266 wrote:
                  I have one of these,bought it last year and it works great I get wifi from miles away https://cbocmarine.com/home/21788-re...XTENDER SYSTEM Just search Redport on google you should be able to find it.[/quote

Wow that is pricey for an extender. Any chance of getting more details on what kind of wifi you actually get on your boat? KBPS or MBPS and distance from the wifi antenna to your boat. Are you able to stream video with it? IP Camera's? That sort of detail? That's a hefty investment.
                  Sure, its a bit more than just an extender. It also has the router, firewall, email, works with satellite if you wish lots of different features. The furthest signal I get is about 6.5 miles away and streaming netflix is not an issue.

Comment

I bought the WIFI camp pro kit. Everything you need. Price was good. I haven't got a chance to test it out on the hook. I have connected at our marina and it works great. I even have a ip camera connected to it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Alfa-Networks-...i+camp+pro+kit
                    1988 3218
                    Triple “O"
                    Hino diesels

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

"cosmo777" post=810272 wrote:
                      Wifi extenders work great. But you get what you pay for, so a $30 ebay special will not get you much. The ubiquiti bullet extenders all pull in many more access points than a normal laptop can see.
                      The Ubiquiti Bullet is not an extender. It's a WiFi bridge/router with a radio but no antenna. You have to buy the antenna separately. Which type and size of antenna you get determines its extending ability. If you plug in a regular antenna off a home WiFi router, it will be no different from a home WiFi router. If you get a big parabolic dish like I did, you can connect to hotspots a mile or more away.

If you're in the U.S., I actually would not recommend the Bullet (the 5 GHz version, don't have any experience with the 2.4 GHz) . After the FCC opened up the 5 GHz band, it was discovered that the frequencies around 5500 MHz were very useful for a form a doppler weather radar. These radars are used at major airports in the U.S. and are so sensitive that home routers can interfere with them. So the FCC modified the 5 GHz band making channels 50-144 DFS. 5 GHz devices either need to sense if doppler radar is in use and auto-switch away from channels 50-144, or need to block the use of those channels entirely. Channels 36-48 and 149-165 are still free to use without restriction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Fac.29.5B18.5D

Most companies created a bandpass filter to prevent you from selecting channels 50-144. Ubiquiti cheaped out on the U.S. firmware for the 5 GHz version. instead of creating a bandpass filter to block DFS channels 50-144, they simply created a low-pass filter and blocked all channels below 149. So if you try to connect to a 5 GHz network using channels 36-48, the Ubiquiti Bullet cannot see them. How do I know? My Bullet Titanium that I was using with a large parabolic antenna to connect to a hotspot a mile away is now a $100 paperweight. When it mysteriously stopped working, I spent a day troubleshooting and discovered that the hotspot had simply changed to channel 36, and the Bullet can't connect to channels 36-48.

(Edit: The global model of the Bullet has no such restriction, and can use any channel from 36-165. Please be polite and avoid channels 50-144 if you're using it in the U.S.)
                      1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

thanks everyone...my quest begins!

Comment

"Solandri" post=810283 wrote:
                          The Ubiquiti Bullet is not an extender. It's a WiFi bridge/router with a radio but no antenna. You have to buy the antenna separately. Which type and size of antenna you get determines its extending ability.
                          They're all bridging routers in one form or another.
                          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"Solandri" post=810283 wrote:
                            The Ubiquiti Bullet is not an extender. It's a WiFi bridge/router with a radio but no antenna. You have to buy the antenna separately.
                            I stand corrected. Rogue Wave comes with an antenna and in the end I've used it so much, I've slipped on use of exact/proper terminology.

One note: The Aigean Link 7 is what I have (both 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ) and they specifically do not block the lower channels 36-48, only the 50-144. It was one of the questions I asked before buying. They sent me a screen shot of from their lab that showed them seeing and connected to channels in the 36-48 range.
                            Pat
                            Paragon
                            1999 4788

Comment

Working...
                            X