Power Steering Color Pink-gctid397810

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering Color Pink-gctid397810

Hi my power seering has the color of a strawberry milkshake.....What is up with that. I am assuming this is not good There is no indication of leaking......I'm working in solving this problem yet the color is pretty awesome...Sarah would love it.....thinking of draining then refilling to see if I end up with the same result.....

Possible P/S fluid cooler internal tube bundle leak.

Red fluid + water = strawberry color.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yup, definitely water intrusion!!! Had a similar problem last month, had a hydraulic steering ram hose break and suck water into the system, replaced the hose bled the system, flushed it out a few times with new ATF and voila good as new.

Comment

Ok Thanks will check the cooler and or hoses.....Will report findings......Mike

Comment

Drifter wrote:
          Ok Thanks will check the cooler and or hoses.....Will report findings......Mike
          Mike, what you'll have will be an oil cooler similar to this one.

(your engine model number will/should direct you to the correct cooler p/n)

Any hose connections will be external, and if failing, do not lend themselves to water intrusion..... normally just a visible leak.

However, at the interior of this oil cooler, sea water runs through the tube bundle, and the oil surrounds the tube bundle.

If a tube or a weld joint (where the tubes meet either end plate) was to breach, water can enter the oil, and visa-versa.

IOW, if you are seeing strawberry colored p/s fluid, I can just about guarantee you that the tube bundle has failed..... not a hose connection.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
            Mike, what you'll have will be an oil cooler similar to this one.

(your engine model number will/should direct you to the correct cooler p/n)

Any hose connections will be external, and if failing, do not lend themselves to water intrusion..... normally just a visible leak.

However, at the interior of this oil cooler, sea water runs through the tube bundle, and the oil surrounds the tube bundle.

If a tube or a weld joint (where the tubes meet either end plate) was to breach, water can enter the oil, and visa-versa.

IOW, if you are seeing strawberry colored p/s fluid, I can just about guarantee you that the tube bundle has failed..... not a hose connection.
            Awesome! Now to do the work....Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X