84 Capri Leaky Fuel tank-gctid809927

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 Capri Leaky Fuel tank-gctid809927

Took the boat out yesterday and immediately noticed a strong gas odor just before backing down the boat ramp. Went to put the plug in and had fuel dripping from the plug hole. Now, I've done my research and realize that getting a replacement and cutting the floors up probably outweigh the value of the boat.

I'm not looking to give up on boating this season and buying another boat really isn't a viable option right now.

I would like to abandon the old tank (after siphoning it dry) and add another tank maybe where the under seat cooler is located. Now, I know it will have to be a smaller tank, and that is something I can live with to keep me on the water.

Does this sound like something that can be safely done? (Big emphasis on safety here). I'm reallly not ready to give up boating this summer, and do not have the coin for a costly tank replacement.

Plug hole????
    Vic Stewart SN
    Past Commander
    Cape Fear Power Squadron
    Ft Myers Power Squadron
    1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
    Raw water cooled

Comment

"Vic Stewart" post=809928 wrote:
      Plug hole????
      That would require cutting the floor up, and re-decking and fuberglassing, both of which I have absolutely no experience with.

Comment

Plug hole????
        I think Vic was asking what "plug hole" meant. I assumed you were referring to the garboard drain at the lower rear of the transom. Sure you can run it from an external marine aproved fuel tank but you will need to clean all fuel from the current leaking tank and even more important is to make sure the presence of fuel vapor no longer exists anywhere in the boat. Gasoline fuel vapor is highly explosive, it's heavier than air and can settle low down in the bilge and stay there, Not good!! Perhaps look into having this cleaning done by someone certified to clean fuel tanks.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"builderdude" post=809933 wrote:
          Plug hole????
          I think Vic was asking what "plug hole" meant. I assumed you were referring to the garboard drain at the lower rear of the transom. Sure you can run it from an external marine aproved fuel tank but you will need to clean all fuel from the current leaking tank and even more important is to make sure the presence of fuel vapor no longer exists anywhere in the boat. Gasoline fuel vapor is highly explosive, it's heavier than air and can settle low down in the bilge and stay there, Not good!! Perhaps look into having this cleaning done by someone certified to clean fuel tanks.
          I apologize for my boat term illiteracy. Still on a learning curve! Yes I would definitely have someone certified do the cleaning, as safety on the water is always my number one concern.

Would I be able to install any marine approved tank and still work correctly with the motor/fuel pump? I have been in contact with a local shop about the option of adding a separate tank and abandoning the old one, but I always like hearing other opinions and trying to educate myself a little more.

Comment

Working...
          X