500 Hour Service-gctid809721

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500 Hour Service-gctid809721

My 2007 5.7L 350 mercruiser is approaching 500 hours. Motor has run extremely well to date with great and consistent oil pressure and engine temps and very little oil burn. Faithfully maintained every 100 hours. Anything special required at 500? Anything to watch out for to indicate an imminent problem?
    2007 288 Discovery Command Bridge
    Tacoma, WA

Exhaust manifolds and risers inspected, that's an inside job, all hoses and bellows, engine alignment, raw water pump.

IMO, you should be changing your oil at least annually rather than hours based. You appear to be only averaging 50 hours a year and the oil is degrading based on time it's in the engine more than use. Just an observation, others will probably disagree with the significance.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

+1 on the annual oil changes. At a minimum. Oil is cheap insurance.
      "REEL WILD"
      2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
      Anchorage, Alaska
      If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

"Faithfully maintained every 100 hours. Anything special required at 500?"

It would depend a lot on what you do faithfully every 100 hours.

What is on that list?
        Northport NY

Comment

I bought the boat sept '16 with 175 hours and have put on nearly 325 since then (and covered ~4,800 miles). I replaced all hoses when I bought it. Changed out manifolds and risers at 250 hours (looked fine, but cheap insurance based on 10 year old motor). I have put new bellows and water pump impeller at 350 hours. Boat also had outdrive off and serviced at 350. She fires up easy, runs strong and burns virtually no oil. Want to keep it that way! I agree an annual oil change is minimum requirement and techs seem to agree every 100 hours in use, but we're running hard virtually daily and wonder what else to think about.
          2007 288 Discovery Command Bridge
          Tacoma, WA

Comment

Working...
          X