Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you wire a Battery switch wiring when you have a starter and alternator wire?-gctid397648

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How do you wire a Battery switch wiring when you have a starter and alternator wire?-gctid397648

    This is my friends 2006 305. In my boat I have one wire from alt/starter and that goes directly to my common post on my mbs. How would I wire it if you have a starter and alt wire?

    #2
    tmth wrote:
    This is my friends 2006 305. In my boat I have one wire from alt/starter and that goes directly to my common post on my mbs. How would I wire it if you have a starter and alt wire?
    Both to the common post on the MBSS.

    Comment


      #3
      tmth wrote:
      This is my friends 2006 305. In my boat I have one wire from alt/starter and that goes directly to my common post on my mbs. How would I wire it if you have a starter and alt wire?
      Bring the charge lead to the starter motor solenoid terminal.

      The "common" cable and MBSS conection will remain the same.

      .
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

      Comment


        #4
        2850Bounty wrote:
        Bring the charge lead to the starter motor solenoid terminal.

        The "common" cable and MBSS conection will remain the same.

        .
        This works too. Is there a reason for one or the other?

        Side note: My alternator cable is routed to the starter assist solenoid, which is on the back of the engine. Another cable then goes from there to the starter solenoid itself (on the starter). I have no idea what the difference is between a starter assist solenoid and a starter solenoid, but that's what my diagram says.

        Comment


          #5
          shortyjacobs wrote:
          This works too. Is there a reason for one or the other?

          Side note: My alternator cable is routed to the starter assist solenoid, which is on the back of the engine. Another cable then goes from there to the starter solenoid itself (on the starter). I have no idea what the difference is between a starter assist solenoid and a starter solenoid, but that's what my diagram says.
          If the charge lead does not depend on closed contacts to complete the circuit, it will be the same schematically.

          However, the shortest path and fewer terminals equals less resistance, and equals the least points of potential failure.... IMO.

          .
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

          Comment

          Working...
          X