wiring solar panel question-gctid808585

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring solar panel question-gctid808585

We have a bayliner 32 and are thinking of adding 2 solar panels. I am thinking of mounting them near the bow on the stainless rail. Because we would only use them when we were at anchor I would make them removable so I could store them when we are at our slip or underway. So I am not looking at a permanent instillation...my question is regarding wiring....could I wire the panels into a regular shore power plug and plug them into my main shore power plug in? With the refrigerator on and our other power draws I wonder if I would even need a regulator. I don't see how I could over charge my batteries....but...I don't really know.......?

thanks

No, the shore power plug goes into your AC system and the panels are DC so that won't work.

I've seen them mounted on the bow rails on a pivoting mount so that they are pivoted down while the boat is underway, and then extended upright while anchored. You'd need to run your wiring back to your DC system. You'll want to grab a Charge Controller however to ensure that you don't overcharge your batteries.

I have a 3388 and mounted them on the bimini top over the flybridge. Ran the wiring down the conduit to the back of my DC panel and mounted my charge controller there. I have 4 x 100W panels and a 30A MPPT controller. I leave it running 24x7 as I then don't need to plug my boat into shore power and save $20/mo.
    Terry
    1999 Bayliner 3388
    Twin Cummins 4BTA
    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

your right ac verses dc

thanks

Comment

+ 1 on the solar controller.

I mounted 3 panels on the doger (if that what it's called). My controller is mounted beside the main electrical panel.

Attached files

1992 4588
        Sea Nile

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

Check out handy bobs solar. Google it. The guy is an encyclopedia of solar knowledge. Uses it for rv's, but the same principle
          85 Bayliner Capri 1600 with 85 hp us marine outboard

Comment

Working...
          X