Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add shorepower connection for ac installation?-gctid397615

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Add shorepower connection for ac installation?-gctid397615

    Hope everyone is having a great boating season as we are here in Chicago! 100 degree heatwave continues..... I cannot take the night temps anylonger , we have the hatch ac and just isnt cutting it, So im ordering the real permanent solution and will do most of the install while in water and pull out to do the thru hulls, however my question is i have noticed similar boats to mine with ac that have 2 shore power supply . i have a breaker left on my existing panel for the ac but do i need an added shorepower supply? iif i do not add will i run the risk of overloading the existing situation ? breakers blowing? fire?!

    #2
    From my point of view since your limited to 30 amps at the dockside receptacle anyways there's no reason not to put the air conditioning on your existing panel and inlet you just need to manage your power use.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

    Comment


      #3
      Scraping B wrote:
      Hope everyone is having a great boating season as we are here in Chicago! 100 degree heatwave continues..... I cannot take the night temps anylonger , we have the hatch ac and just isnt cutting it, So im ordering the real permanent solution and will do most of the install while in water and pull out to do the thru hulls, however my question is i have noticed similar boats to mine with ac that have 2 shore power supply . i have a breaker left on my existing panel for the ac but do i need an added shorepower supply? iif i do not add will i run the risk of overloading the existing situation ? breakers blowing? fire?!
      I ran a 6500 BTU AC unit for 10 years on a single shore power cord on my 2655
      Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

      http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

      Comment


        #4
        Although I can, I've never run two cords.
        Simo
        2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
        Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

        Comment


          #5
          good stuff guys ,thank you.

          Comment


            #6
            On my new (to me) 2855 It has two set up for cords. I still use just one. I just don't turn everything on at once
            Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

            http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

            Comment


              #7
              msd58 wrote:
              On my new (to me) 2855 It has two set up for cords. I still use just one. I just don't turn everything on at once
              Same here,and on my old 2655 the PO had it connected so as only to use one plug. Ran fine and could use microwave at same time,just wouldn't try water heater.

              Comment


                #8
                Scraping B wrote:
                i have a breaker left on my existing panel for the ac but do i need an added shorepower supply? iif i do not add will i run the risk of overloading the existing situation ? breakers blowing? fire?!
                JimMc wrote:
                From my point of view since your limited to 30 amps at the dockside receptacle anyways there's no reason not to put the air conditioning on your existing panel and inlet you just need to manage your power use.
                Agree. Your risk is in accidentally over-loading the entire system. If the Main Breaker is doing it's job, it will trip.
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                Comment


                  #9
                  I have only one 30 Amp shore power connection and I have AC on my boat (1997 2855) It appears to have been added post-factory. I have had no trouble with this setup.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X