Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out Drive oil leaking-gctid808065

Hello everyone.

I have a 2003 Bayliner 305SB and I notice that the starboard outboard drive oil starts reduce level very fast and the alarm goes off. Pull the boat out of the water, inspect and found that the Lower unit is full of oil and the leak is coming from inside. I can see the drops coming through the middle when you have the unit trimmed up.

Try to access from inside but could not see. inside the bilge there is no oil leaking.

Does anyone know how to approach in this case?

Leaking drive lube and nothing in the bilge?? Probably need to remove the drive and pressure/vacuum test to find exactly where your loosing fluid. My guess is either the input shaft seal or possibly the tube and/or fitting that feeds the drive.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

The alarm did its job. You need to find out where the leak is coming from. Did you check the seal on the vent plug? Did you check the belllows? Bottom line you need to locate the leak first. Oil going out likely means water comeing in. It goes without question not to put the boat back in until this problem is fixed. You will likely have to pull the outdive to investigate.

Comment

At the end of last season put the boat in the yard flushed with the muffs next morning noticed a white substance running down from the water intake pulled drive unit took it to Everett wa. had a hole in the water pump casing

would have destroyed the outdrive ,better pull yours and send it to the shop cheaper then buying a new one
        1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
        located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

Welcome! We need a little more information, but here's a link to the parts blowup of the bell housing for an alpha. http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s...30862/2686/100

Part number 5 is a candidate for your issue. Obviously, the hose from the reservoir has to go through to the drive somewhere, and it connects to the bell housing.

So, why might it empty the reservoir? The oil in the drive heats pushing the oil out then, as it cools the oil is pulled out of the reservoir, but with less pressure. It may be that when you checked the oil level there could be water at the bottom of the drive.

I presume a Bravo is similar, and by searching Mercruiser parts there are several sites that have the parts lookup. You will need your serial numbers, and most of the available drawings are up through 1998 or so but they are plenty close for research purposes. If indeed this hose has failed, a very close inspection of your bellows and water cooling hose are in order. IMO the exhaust bellows are okay if the driveshaft bellows are good.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

"builderdude" post=808089 wrote:
            Leaking drive lube and nothing in the bilge?? Probably need to remove the drive and pressure/vacuum test to find exactly where your loosing fluid. My guess is either the input shaft seal or possibly the tube and/or fitting that feeds the drive.
            +1

Pull the drive, bet the bellows is full of oil.
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Thanks all for the help.

I changed the drive oil and there wasn't any water in it.

With the boat out of the water I add more oil in the reservoir and I saw the oil running(dripping) out direct to the floor

Looks like it is coming from outside hose or fitting .

Comment

What you need to replace is that cheap plastic tube going through the transom. It is number 1 on the drawing.

Attached files

1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
                5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

It could be as Ken says, it's a common thing that plastic lube fitting cracks or breaks.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556
                  Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Today I clean and dry the area and notice that the oil is sliding in the hose starting from the top (Cheap plastic tubing).

For changing this tubing I have to pull everything apart ? Do you guys know if it is relative easy or need professional help?

Comment

It's mostly just nuts and bolts. You could combine it with checking the bellows, gimbal bearing, alignment and ujoints because I believe the drive will have to come off. Not having one to look at, I'm concerned about where the watertight connection is made. If it's a place that's difficult to get at, getting the old one out could be an issue. If it's a matter of getting to the forward side of the bell housing, you can pull the tilt pins from the gimbal ring and get some extra room. It's more like r&p a transmission than changing a tire, but if you have the basic skills to do a tranny, you can probably do this.
                      P/C Pete
                      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                      X