Motor Won(39)t Start-gctid807826

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Won(39)t Start-gctid807826

I have a 3.0 mercruiser and a bayliner capri 1950. Okay, I just received the boat back from a mechanic, which is a long story, but finally got the tight steering resolved. Now I went to hook up the battery cables and turn the engine over, and I have nothing. When I turn the ignition over, there is no power to the engine. Now this is where it gets weird for me at least. With the key ignition left in the on position, I have power to my bilge pump, but I do not have power to my horn, or blower fan. With the key ignition left on, and when i go to turn the key over, the bilge pump increases in speed, but still no power to turn the engine over. Although, when the boat came out of storage, i connected everything up and turned right over. I checked the fuses under the dash, had a 5 amp fuse out, which i replaced during this and it did not correct anything. So, I started looking at the wiring back by the engine, could my 90 amp fuse on the starter have gone bad or the 50 amp circuit breaker? The 50 amp circuit breaker I cannot press in at all. Any other troubleshooting problems or things to test or how to test them? Is it possible he could have put battery cables on wrong and blown a fuse? Now, I took a jumper wired from the small wired coming into starter to the positive side of battery and the engine turned over, but did not run, just turned over. The main thing is trying to get power to the key to turn the engine over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to buy a 50 amp circuit breaker tomorrow since I cannot push it in. Should I also replace the 90 amp breaker on the starter? The starter has been replaced last year.

If you jumped directly to the small lug at the starter and she turned over then your issue is upstream from there. Have you tested the slave solenoid (jumped it) ? That's the first place I'd look. Also look at the positive and negative battery cable connections at both ends.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Also make sure your in neutral.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

No ignition power sounds like,

As Rick said, take a voltage reading 50amp breaker at each terminal first...
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

I have not tested anything, was awaiting to hear back from some experts on the issue. I will test the breaker and fuse tomorrow, as I will have more time. I did order the two parts just in case. I just have an inclination that the breaker is bad. Although, I am going to test them first before replacing. No local marina stocks these parts, So I ordered just to have in stock, just in case.

I also have not checked the solenoid either. I will test this when I get time also. Should this be around 12 v too? Can I use the screwdriver method to bypass this to see if that is the issue?

I report back once I figure out the readings, and hopefully the diagnosis, its nearing boating season, and well fishing season has started! TIme to get the boat in the water!

Comment

Did you check the kill switch?

Comment

Kill switch has nothing to do with engine not cranking.
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=808106 wrote:
                Agreed. If it was the kill switch, the engine would turn over, catch, and then immeidately die.

Ask me how I learned this. Go on. Ask.
                Matt Train
                BOC Site Team
                Chicagoland, IL

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=808181 wrote:
                  "Ruffryder" post=808106 wrote:
                  Agreed. If it was the kill switch, the engine would turn over, catch, and then immeidately die.

Ask me how I learned this. Go on. Ask.
                  Ok I'll bite! How did you learn this?

Back to the kill switch. My boat is still in winter storage so I can't go test this but my memory recalls once when I was docking and I accidentally pulled the lanyard (red cord attached to the kill switch) (which I didn't know at the time) and I was dead in the water. Couldn't get it to crank at all. Once I fiddled with the cord I got it to fire up. Just had a synapse brain cell fire and thinking that during my panic of having a docking potentially going wrong I may of not shifted it fully back in Neutral. This was probably what was causing the no cranking.

Comment

Yup when you pull the cord, dies immediately. ..you are cutting the Purple ignition wire feeds your ignition COIL.

Yellow/Red slave solenoid trigger wire goes through the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH.
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

Okay, Got the parts today, I put new 50 amp circuit breaker on because it was getting old and rusty. So I put that on thinking that was the cause, well tried turning it over no power, but bilge pump still worked. So, I then replaced the 55 amp fuse that connects to the starter. Went to the helm, and the motor turned over, and was running great. Although, now my bilge pump, blower motor and horn do not work. If it is not one thing its another! So now I gotta try and locate why those are not working!

Although, at least I got the motor problem fixed.

Thanks for all the help and how to test for this issue. I appreciate it greatly!

Comment

It's the 90AMP fuse at the starter BTW.

Sounds like you manage to pop a few branch circuit fuses in the process. ..
                        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                        93 3058 sold
                        92 2855 (day boat)
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

Comment

Well called my marina because no one else carried the parts. He stated it was a 55 amp fuse that connected to the starter not a 90 amp. All research I did showed 90 amp.

Do you mean branch fuses as ones under the dash behind the steering wheel? If so I checked those and there all good.

Although, did some jumping ground wires going into each compononent. Each one I jumped a negative wire too the part worked. So leads me to believe I have a bad ground someonewhere. Any help be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it possible to get a manual and a wiring diagram for this boat?

Thanks have a great weekend.

Comment

I bet a ground wire fell of the battery or somewhere else that's been recently tampered with and fell down and obscured itself in some hidden location and hasn't been hooked back up. Check with a flashlight all the areas around the battery and etc and see if you can find an unused ground lead. Heck the boat is so small you could find your ground buss under the dash and pull its feed wire back and forth through the gunnels and you or a helper should be able to locate it. Chase a new wire through with the old one if it needs to be replaced.
                            1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

Comment

Agree the negatives are probably causing your electrical issues. Try a temporary negative jumper to the negative buss at the helm fuse panel.
                              Dave
                              Edmonds, WA
                              "THE FIX"
                              '93 2556
                              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                              Misc. projects thread
                              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                              X