Brand new VR5 4.3 MPI dies constantly.-gctid807818

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new VR5 4.3 MPI dies constantly.-gctid807818

Hi folks - hoping you can help me. I have a new 2017 VR5 with the 4.3 MPI 220hp Mercruiser. The thing has died four times already in the past week. I believe it's flooding.

I've read a lot that these engines have problems with vapor lock from getting too hot, but I don't believe that's the issue here. The first two times it killed it was just slowly maneuvering out of my slip after running for only a couple minutes.

The first time, it wouldn't start up, so we just let it sit for about a half hour. It started after that. The second time, I realized it might be flooded and tried starting it in WOT and it fired right up. The third and fourth time also it started up with a WOT start.

Is this a problem with the idle speed perhaps? It dies while shifting from gear back to neutral. Is there a way to adjust the IAC to increase the idle? Or am I completely off in assuming it's flooding due to low idle?

Thanks!!

I would not even attempt to diagnose or fix this. As it is a brand new boat, get it to your dealer and have them figure out the issue!
    2012 185 4.3l

Comment

"Waking Memories" post=807830 wrote:
      I would not even attempt to diagnose or fix this. As it is a brand new boat, get it to your dealer and have them figure out the issue!
      +1 on that. don't touch it, let Mercruiser and the dealer sort it out.
      David
      http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
      http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

ANd it's not flooding or vapor lock. That happens with a carb'd engine. You have fuel injection, and the ECU fault codes should be the first thing the mechanic checks.

One thing you CAN check is the kill switch, and the wiring to that switch. Still a warranty item, but easy enough to diagnose.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

IAC

& let your dealer take care of it
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

IAC

& let your dealer take care of it
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. The dealer in my area is notoriously slow at warranty work, so I was hesitant to have them do it if it was an easy fix. I've worked on cars all my life, so something like adjusting an IAC is simple for me.

I ended up scheduling with them this morning because now there's actually another issue that I discovered too. When going to full throttle from a stop (trying to get a skier up), it digs in real deep but barely moves forward. The front of the boat just sits up for like 30 seconds before it actually starts to come back down. It seems like the trim won't go all the way down so the prop is still pointing up too much rather than directly towards the back.

Sigh. Can't believe the issues already with a brand new boat.

Comment

I thought VR5 only came with 4.5 MPI engine (200 or 250).

Are you sure it is 4.3?

The dealer can check the codes on the engine and figure it out.

Comment

They came with 4.3
                  Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                  93 3058 sold
                  92 2855 (day boat)
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

"baylinerboater" post=807964 wrote:
                    I thought VR5 only came with 4.5 MPI engine (200 or 250).

Are you sure it is 4.3?

The dealer can check the codes on the engine and figure it out.
                    The 4.3 was/is briefly the top dog engine while Bayliner is using up the reaminder of 4.3L stock. Once that's gone, it's 4.5 all day.
                    Matt Train
                    BOC Site Team
                    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

CapBoatClub,

I have the same issue with my 2016 VR5 with 4.3L in it. I am running a 14.5" X 19 prop as recommended by the dealer. My WOT is running at 4900 and 44MPH. If your guys make any progress on the 'time to plane' please post back here. Meanwhile I am going to change my prop down to a 17 pitch. I will let you know how that works out.

HELP!

Comment

I believe that you'll find that the 17" is the answer. This is especially true if you're running anywhere much above see level.
                        Bob Hawes.
                        Kelowna, B.C.
                        1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                        4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

"When going to full throttle from a stop (trying to get a skier up), it digs in real deep but barely moves forward. The front of the boat just sits up for like 30 seconds before it actually starts to come back down."

That is exactly what my 2016 VR5 with 4.3 MPI (220hp) does. It has a 19 pitch Black Max. The dealer took it back to test various other props. A vengeance 17p came out best, but still not amazing. Black max 17p didn't work. Acceleration was better, but it would go higher than 5000 RPM at top speed (with alarms beeping) with also a 4 miles drop in top speed compared to the 19p.

I'm actually getting worried now. I figured there was an issue with my engine somewhere which could be resolved. However if more people have this issue, it could be related to the design of the boat? If I move a person from the back of the boat to the front, then time to plane is just fine.

For your reference, these are the props we've tested and their RPM and top speed at WOT:

- Black max, 19p: 4500 RPM, 74 kmh/44.7mph

- High five 19p: 4400 RPM. Same top speed

- High five 17p: time to plan very quick, but at 60kmh/37mph more than 5000 RPM.

- Laser II 19p: time to plane slow, 4500 RPM, top speed 75kmh/46.6mph

- Vengeance 17p: 4900 RPM, time to plan better than the Black max 19p, top speed 75kmh/46.6mph.

- Black max 17p: >5000 RPM at 66kmh/41mph.

Comment

Add Smart Tabs to those VR's make a world of difference...also 4-blade props not 3-blades...
                            Lake Hartwell, GA
                            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                            1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                            1996 SeaDoo GTX
                            1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

"- Black max, 19p: 4500 RPM, 74 kmh/44.7mph" Wow that is completely NOT what I'm getting at all. With the provided Black Max 19p at Max recommended WOT RPM of 4,800 I barely got over 31/33mph.

Full Fuel

Full accessories

3 people on board.

GPS confirmed nothing over 33mph and I had no issues at all getting over that and closer to 5,000 which makes your other posted info of "- Black max 17p: >5000 RPM at 66kmh/41mph." very odd to me. I've already order a Black Max 23p to test next time out on the water.

PS: Sorry I didn't see you have the 4.3. I'm running the 4.5L 200hp

Comment

Working...
                              X