Old Seaward 1200s water heater-gctid807800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Seaward 1200s water heater-gctid807800

This old gal is still making lots of HW with 120 volt but seems to come up short when heating from the engine circ. Oh it heats up but only to about 70 degrees. My question.. Is there a limiting thermostat in this unit that would try and keep the water from reaching engine temp, ie 180 degrees or so.

Or is it just time for a new tank..

Thanks much.
    1988 3870
    Hino 4 cyl 210 turbos (upgrade)
    Hull extension
    LIves in Powell River

"Damorsoft" post=807800 wrote:
    This old gal is still making lots of HW with 120 volt but seems to come up short when heating from the engine circ. Oh it heats up but only to about 70 degrees. My question.. Is there a limiting thermostat in this unit that would try and keep the water from reaching engine temp, ie 180 degrees or so.

Thanks much.
    It should reach engine temps.air lock maybe.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"boatworkfl" post=807809 wrote:
      "Damorsoft" post=807800 wrote:

Thanks much.
      It should reach engine temps.air lock maybe.
      Don't think so, the hose is hot on in and out of the tank. maybe if I hook it up backwards it may flush out and debris..
      1988 3870
      Hull extension
      LIves in Powell River

Comment

I added a vent loop in and there is hw now but takes 2 hrs, maybe if I ran over 1200 rpm it would heat faster.
        1988 3870
        Hull extension
        LIves in Powell River

Comment

Even with 11 gallons of cold water (

I think you have either a block in the flow, or stuff hanging on the coil of the hot water tank. I think it's the flow since there would be similar deposits on the coil.

I'd try flushing the engine line out to see what the flow looks like.
          Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

"Foster" post=816365 wrote:
            Even with 11 gallons of cold water (

I think you have either a block in the flow, or stuff hanging on the coil of the hot water tank. I think it's the flow since there would be similar deposits on the coil.

I'd try flushing the engine line out to see what the flow looks like.
            +1 Also check to make sure there isn't a valve in the line between the engine and the water heater. I have seen occasions where valves were added to both the inflow and outflow lines. If there is a valve it might not be open all the way. Have experienced that before too.

Greg
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Working...
            X