Our drive type-gctid807771

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our drive type-gctid807771

I have a 1986 bayliner cierra 2455 has a Volvo 225 penta motor and a Volvo outdrive. I have to replace the lower unit and I need to find out which kind it is I found some numbers on the top of the outdrive but it's not giving me information online to what kind it is. Hopefully someone can help

I would sure think its a AQ280 SP. When shopping around make sure it has the proper gear ratio 1.61:1 and you will need to do teh proper shimming procedure to mate the new lower to your mid section.

If your close to North Idaho i have a good lower unit i would sell ya.

Post a pic of your lower unit and we will know for sure what you have.

Pat. Sandpoint Ida
    I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

First off, it's a 2450 Ciera. One R. I have no idea why people cannot get the model name right when it's written on the side of the boat.

Second, 1986 2450s will have a 275 outdrive. Looks like this:

Make sure you have the V8 ratio for anything you buy. Alternately, you can replace it with a 280 lower unit, which is plentiful on the used market.
      Matt Train
      BOC Site Team
      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

First off, you have an AQ series Volvo Penta stern drive and engine. This will be important to pass on should you need to find a shop to perform work for you. Many these days do not know how to service these. They tend to over-charge for work that is relatively easy!

Whether or not your AQ225 engine is fitted with a 275, 280, 285 or _______, the one constant will be the over-all gear reduction of 1.61:1.

No other ratio will work..... period!

Your choices will be a 270, 275, 280, 285, 290, SP-A, SP-C and so on (in the 1.61:1 ratio).

The 280, 285, 290, SP and later (in the 1.61:1 ratio) will offer a less restrictive exhaust outlet.

Make sure that the vertical shaft tapered roller bearing race comes with the replacement lower unit!

This race will be installed in the Intermediate housing of the drive where the replacement lower unit had been removed. The seller needs to provide this along with the lower gear unit!

Make sure that you fully understand the A and B dimensions and how to calculate the NEW shim value above the race.

If you are fairly mechanically inclinded, this is a very user friendly change-out!
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
        X