Lack of Power in Reverse ÔÇô 2850 with Duo Prop-gctid807703

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of Power in Reverse ÔÇô 2850 with Duo Prop-gctid807703

My 2850 is powered by AQ 260 5.7 liter and equipped with duo prop. I found there is inadequate power when the boat is in reverse. When the boat is at a standstill then I can move the boat in reverse, like when I back out from the berth. However, once the boat is in forward motion then it is difficult to stop the boat or move it backward. I have problem even when I am going very slowly. I wonder whether it is the characteristic of the boat and engine or is there something wrong with my boat or my handling of the boat. What is your experience with this or similar model? I am trying to get some control of the boat in reverse gear.

Joe
    1986 2850 Commend Bridge on hydrohoist
    A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit

The Duo Prop drive provides much more FWD thrust than the s/p drive will.... even at idle/docking speeds. Perhaps try short bursts of FWD power while dock-side maneuvering.

If your idle RPM is correct, pulling from gear back into neutral should be easy.

Reversing with the Duo Prop should be very easy also.

Which 1986 Volvo Penta drive do you have?

280 w/ DP? 275 w/ DP? 290 w/ DP? etc.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

HI Rick,

I think it is a 280 drive. I bought the boat with the single prop and then replaced it with a duo prop lower unit with your help. I found the boat performance was improved dramatically with the duo prop, and I am very happy with it. However, I think the boat still lacks power and maneuverability on reverse. The idle RPM is correct and I can shift from forward to neutral to reverse with ease. I wonder whether it is like that or if there is anything I can do.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Is the drive staying locked down in reverse, or is it lifting up?
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

If the drive isn't staying locked it'll be damn near impossible to back up.
          1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
          In over my head for sure!!
          M/V SKUA refit
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ak-gctid499442

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...contessa-refit

Comment

Although I didn't have problems with my three bladed duo props, I bought a replacement set from Solas where forward prop was four blade and rear prop was three. The handlng performance at slow speed was remarkably improved. I would consider that before getting a bow thruster (you need spare props anyway). I use the Solas now and carry the other set as spares.
            2007 288 Discovery Command Bridge
            Tacoma, WA

Comment

The drive is locked down on reverse and does not come up. Do you have to really rev the engine to get the boat to move backward?

Comment

Honestly, I believe that this is a matter of mastering the art of shorter and/or longer power bursts in both FWD and REV, along with Port/Stbd turning.

Short power bursts should help over-come the unwanted forward movement, and you may need to give her longer REV power.
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I guess we all operate our boats differently, but unless there is extreme current or wind, I can basically manouver at idle speed by simply shifting gear from forward to reverse and using the wheel. The boat was reasonably responsive with two three bladed props and really great with set up I described. Introducing throttle to the equation rarely helps unless avoiding impending disaster. I like to back into slips, but if conditions are extreme we go bow in.

PS: I have a friend with a 288 who likes to dock "at pace". He gets it done, but it's always an adventure and he relies on dock help!
                  2007 288 Discovery Command Bridge
                  Tacoma, WA

Comment

With the single prop my boat handled horribly in reverse. With the Douprop it handles much much better. I had hopes for a little more but it does the job well.
                    Ted G
                    The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                    Designers Edition
                    Mercury 350 Mag
                    290 Volvo DP

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=808357 wrote:
                      Honestly, I believe that this is a matter of mastering the art of shorter and/or longer power bursts in both FWD and REV, along with Port/Stbd turning.

Short power bursts should help over-come the unwanted forward movement, and you may need to give her longer REV power.
                      Have to agree. Docking is mastering the art of slow with small prop thrusts. I always get a kick out of Bubba the Boater in reverse at 3500 rpm's trying not to crash into the docks.
                      David
                      http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                      http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=808357 wrote:

In forward a short burst will move and turn my boat substantially, but in reverse it is hardly noticeable. I will try strong and longer burst in reverse and see how the boat will react.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X