HELP!!!!!!!!! New to Me Boat About Left Us Out There!-gctid397511

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!!!!!!!! New to Me Boat About Left Us Out There!-gctid397511

2001 Ciera 2859 with the 7.4 FI. B2 out drive.

First mayden voyage into the Prince William Sound with the family, and it about left us calling for a tow to safety!

So, has about 500 hrs And great service records.

Recent fuel filter change, had 30 gallons onboard from last year and I topped it off with another 70 gallons before we went out. Ran great on day one. On the second day after running it at 3000 rms for an hour it idled for about 15 mins til I shut it down. After an hour of being off it would start but kinda chug along as if it's struggling for fuel. Eventually dying.

Turn the ignition on and the fuel pump works. It pressures up.

When I remove the fuel filter I find it 3/4 or less from being full. I fortunately had a 5 gal jug of fuel and top off the filter. Cycle the fuel pump a few times and it fires up. Runs great til I come off the throttle and run it at 1000 rpm's or less. Eventually dying. Happened 5 more times!

So on the last 3 times I thought I could figure it out. I pulled the pick up tube out of the tank, it was clear of debris. I suspected the other inline filter was packed and removed it, it was clear!

Later on I replaced the entire line from the tank to the filter, bypassing the flo scan module and the inline filter. All I had was a 3/8 fuel line but it was a straight shot.

So, at this point I am currently back on dry land, got the boat loaded up and on the trailer. We towed this big boat 300+ miles for this trip and here we are sleeping in it in a parking lot waiting for the stores to open up tomorrow. I am stumped!!!!!!

When I removed the air filter it sure was dirty in the intake tube, could that be related?

Maybe the fuel pump is weak?

I take it the fuel pump is located in that Merc Cool system somewhere?

My gas gauge also seems to stick from time to time. Couldnt be related I don't suppose!

Just looking for answers to save this trip!

Don't wanna tow this thing all the way home!

Was planning on keeping it here!

Donno now!

Today is Friday, so perhaps you can find a shop who can look at this for you, and perhaps take fuel pressure readings.

If you lost your primary or secondary pump pressure, it may explain your problem.

Question: how did you find yourself stranded, join the BOC, and post your question so quickly?

Glad that you were able to.... but wow.... that's pretty quick!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Definitely fuel delivery issue IMO...vapor lock?
      Mike & Dixi
      2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
      Closed Cooling

Comment

Another Southcentral Alaska boater, Cool!

So, if I understand correctly the motor runs great up on plane, but will not idle?

When you took off the air cleaner did that fix the problem?

I have personally seen two Alaskan based 2859's that had an issue with the spark arrestor causing the engine to load up and not idle correctly.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Not sure if your setup is the same as mine but check your fuel tank vent is clean.

Comment

OK KSanders.........

How is the weather looking this weekend??????

Spike, if it was the fuel vent it should show up while running at plane or high revs,

Could there be an air leak in the line somewhere?
            Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

It seems that if it were a pump pressure issue, it would do better at idle, and show itself when using lots of fuel up on plane.

Make sure there is nothing floating around in the tank that could clog the intake. I have seen chunks of debri clog an intake, but when the boat is on plane, the chunks fall to the back of the tank, only to be recirculated again when the boat settles in. could the old fuel be bad? I know you mixed with new fuel, but old doesnt mix with good. Don't know,,,just an idea.

Could it be a distributor or timing issue? If the timing is way advanced, it will run great, but not idle worth a darn. Does it normally idle fine or is it hard starting?

Comment

Can't help ya with your issue, as I am a newbie here and at boating as well. Just wanted to say welcome to the forums, from one Alaskan to another.

Comment

There may be an anti siphon valve at the top of the fuel pick up in the fuel tank. If you have an electric fuel pump it is not really necessary, and it may be restricting the fuel flow, Take the fuel pick up out of the tank and suck on it if it seems restricted, take a punch and nock out the small steel ball at the top of the pick up tube........... this might fix your problem.

I had a similar problem with my 350 MPI in my 2858, and it turned out to be a retaining clip on the distributor shaft that had gone away causing the shaft to drop, and rise, causing the timing to go to ****, and the motor to run like crap. Remove the distributor cap, grab the rotor and lift it up, if it movesmore than a very little this might be it......... a 25 cent part made all the difference to my problem.

Good luck

Chris

Comment

Powderhound sits at 2 posts..... I think that we lost them!

Hopefully they're back on the water enjoying the rest of their vacation.
                    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                      Today is Friday, so perhaps you can find a shop who can look at this for you, and perhaps take fuel pressure readings.

If you lost your primary or secondary pump pressure, it may explain your problem.

Question: how did you find yourself stranded, join the BOC, and post your question so quickly?

Glad that you were able to.... but wow.... that's pretty quick!

Well, I have been lurking around here for a while. Finally joined a couple months ago. once I actually bought a Bayliner!

Once I made it back to Valdez I used my Iphone to post this topic.

ksanders wrote:
                      Another Southcentral Alaska boater, Cool!

So, if I understand correctly the motor runs great up on plane, but will not idle?

When you took off the air cleaner did that fix the problem?

I have personally seen two Alaskan based 2859's that had an issue with the spark arrestor causing the engine to load up and not idle correctly.
                      Nope, still had the same issue with no aircleaner, Man, once I looked at the throat past the air cleaner I realized how much crap gets past it. Needs a good cleaning of the belt dust in there.

jmg-in-alask wrote:
                      Can't help ya with your issue, as I am a newbie here and at boating as well. Just wanted to say welcome to the forums, from one Alaskan to another.
                      Thanks, now I need a" local " to teach me all about this boat. Alot of stuff on board I have NO idea how to operate.

Thanks again

Wally wrote:
                      There may be an anti siphon valve at the top of the fuel pick up in the fuel tank. If you have an electric fuel pump it is not really necessary, and it may be restricting the fuel flow, Take the fuel pick up out of the tank and suck on it if it seems restricted, take a punch and nock out the small steel ball at the top of the pick up tube........... this might fix your problem.

I had a similar problem with my 350 MPI in my 2858, and it turned out to be a retaining clip on the distributor shaft that had gone away causing the shaft to drop, and rise, causing the timing to go to ****, and the motor to run like crap. Remove the distributor cap, grab the rotor and lift it up, if it movesmore than a very little this might be it......... a 25 cent part made all the difference to my problem.

Good luck

Chris
                      Well you nailed it!

Atleast I believe you did. Once the very knowledgeable boat mechanic looked it it over, he said the same thing you did. Says he see's 5 a year (only bayliner) and I am the second one so far. Exactly the same problem I am describing but usually doesnt like to idle well at all. Mine seemed to idle fine. So fixed that problem and threw a new coil pack on it and did a test on the trailer with it dunked in the water. Appears to be fine but with the weather kicking up and and good help other than my admiral I figured to just keep it on the trailer and head home for a little while. Will return next week and pray that was my problem!

2850Bounty wrote:
                      Powderhound sits at 2 posts..... I think that we lost them!

Hopefully they're back on the water enjoying the rest of their vacation.
                      Im back home, I will check in more periodically now!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Working...
                      X