trim tabs-gctid807433

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trim tabs-gctid807433

so this may sound like a silly question, and I feel like the answer is obvious, but that's not going to stop me from asking! I have a leak on my port trim tab. Fortunately, that's not the tab I need in order to level the boat out. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to refill the fluid and use the starboard tab, until I can get the boat pulled out and properly fixed? I feel like each tab should be totally separate due to the solenoid valves, but I guess I just need reassurance!!

thanks

Alan

Hey there, alngoff!! Welcome to our version of the puddle!!

Repairing/replacing those trim tab cylinders is pretty easy really. Heck, I did mine so anybody ought to be able to do it. There are repair kits for the tabs (has a few O-rings, etc.) . . . . they're cheap and fairly easy to do. You don't even want to think of the "pollution fine" you might get if somebody can see it leaking! . . . it's just good stewardship to repair.
    1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
    Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
    WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
    James H. Stradling

Comment

Assuming you have Bennett tabs. The actuators are separated via the solenoids at the HPU. However you can try and snug up the upper seal by hand tightening of the leaky actuators body into the hinge, no special tools required. Sometimes that's all it takes.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Not Bennett unfortunately. I can lay on the swim platform and feel the.broken line going into the actuator. The fix is pretty simple, but unfortunately there was a pretty big fire at my marina earlier this week so I don't see the boat coming out of the water any time soon.

Comment

Just be careful that you do not run the side with the broken hose in reverse (tab up) as it will suck water into the system.

Tom

Bennett Marine
          sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X