Mounting thru hull transducer-gctid806851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting thru hull transducer-gctid806851

I've read on here and it seems that people have quite a few different ways of mounting, and different types of silicones and adhesives that they use.

I recently purchased a Garmin Striker 4 fish finder

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was having issues with my depth finder transducer and the repair shop wanted about $500 to replace my other stock transducer after parts and labor.

So I opted to buy an inexpensive fish finder solely for the depth finding purposes. However, I have a tough time drilling into my transom, so I opted to mount it thru-hull. According to the people on amazon they've had luck mounting this thru hull with no issues.

I was curious which ways you all did if, if you've done it. I've head I can seal it in pic pipe with mineral oil and then mount the pipe, others said they've used silicone to mount it in the bilge. So I'm just trying to figure out the easiest most effective way of doing it that won't cause issues.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mike
    2001 Bayliner 215
    5.0 Mercury Alpha One Outdrive
    2002 Polaris Genesis i 135HP

Mike, on my 1800 I set the shoot through ducer in the aft part of the bilge and set a small sand bag on it to keep it stationary. A bucket of water poured into the bilge kept it submersed in water and it worked perfectly. You could do the same ting to test your location or put the ducer in a heavy duty ziplock bag full of water and set it in the bilge wherever you think is best. Once you've found a place suitable you can stick it with sillycone or do the more permanent mineral oil or antifreeze thing.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks builder dude. I didn't really think about putting in a bag to try it before I mount it. Thats the probably the best way to avoid having to pull it back off
      2001 Bayliner 215

Comment

I mounted mine "thru the hull" near the center in the engine compartment using a JB Weld product that worked great. Good luck.

Comment

"Chevy_mike" post=806851 wrote:
          I've read on here and it seems that people have quite a few different ways of mounting, and different types of silicones and adhesives that they use.

I recently purchased a Garmin Striker 4 fish finder

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was having issues with my depth finder transducer and the repair shop wanted about $500 to replace my other stock transducer after parts and labor.

So I opted to buy an inexpensive fish finder solely for the depth finding purposes. However, I have a tough time drilling into my transom, so I opted to mount it thru-hull. According to the people on amazon they've had luck mounting this thru hull with no issues.

I was curious which ways you all did if, if you've done it. I've head I can seal it in pic pipe with mineral oil and then mount the pipe, others said they've used silicone to mount it in the bilge. So I'm just trying to figure out the easiest most effective way of doing it that won't cause issues.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mike
          Hey Mike -- I recently purchased the same unit for a small bowrider we have at a family cabin. I used some 5200 to affix it to the hull right under the engine as I figured that would be a spot that would likely be making constant contact with the water. It holds pretty well at lower speeds but does lose bottom at high speed but I think that's likely due to air passing under the hull.

Your idea of placing it in a baggie and testing it is good.
          Terry
          1999 Bayliner 3388
          Twin Cummins 4BTA
          Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
          Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

This is a true thru-hull transducer. These are typically more accurate.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/smd/i...ansducer_l.jpg

This is a shoot-thru transducer... (aka puck style) Not quite as accurate.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/C...ei=380&fmt=jpg

Don't fret or fear drilling a hole for a true thru-hull transducer.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I agree with Mike. I like to run two depth finders on my 3870. One went out and quit working, it was about 12 years old. I picked up one from West Marine that was on sale for less than $100.00. I mounted the transducer under the floor in the galley next to the hull. I used liquid nail. I check it with my second finder and other boats that raft up when on the hook. No problem and a simple installation.
              Just love being on my 3870............Bill
              1985 3870
              Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
              Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
              Live on board full time.
              North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Buy a can of kids Play-Doh form a circle in the bilge where you want to mount it pour some water in then try the transducer in the center. I use 5 minute apoxy to mount the transducer. It comes in a double syringe with enough to mount the transducer. On my Sundancer I mounted the transducer in the aft cabin. That put it in the middle of the boat. Works perfect for depth. On my 2755 I mounted it in the bilge. Either location required the sanding of the floor prior to sticking it down and I sanded the transducer.

Ken
                300SD all options sold.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Basically hat happened was sometimes the depth finder works, then it just stops working, so its on and off.

I just had the bellows, impeller and gimball bearing replaced at $1400, when I mentioned the depth finder working on and off they said they could replace the transducer for about $500.

So I opted to save a few bucks for now and go the cheaper route with an inexpensive fish finder.

I appreciate all your advise!
                  2001 Bayliner 215

Comment

Working...
                  X