fuel pump-gctid806768

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel pump-gctid806768

I got new engine installed,it has a electric fuel pump that worked fine ,wore batterys down trying to start,poured fuel in carb and popped on a few cylinders.How much time does it take for fuel to get to carb,or do I haqve to prime pump?

It took a minute or two on my 2950. Just turn the key on, give the starter a bump and you should hear the pump running. Let it run until it stops then try the stater again. Btw, make sure you aren't pumping your oil into the bilge due to a rolled oil filter seal. Ask me how I know.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

"spaceman" post=806768 wrote:
      I got new engine installed,it has a electric fuel pump that worked fine ,wore batterys down trying to start,poured fuel in carb and popped on a few cylinders.How much time does it take for fuel to get to carb,or do I haqve to prime pump?
      [color]#000088 wrote:
      The electric fuel pump for carbureted engines requires a "start-by-pass" circuit.

This circuit requires the starter motor to be activated in order to power the fuel pump's relay.

Once the engine is up and running, a N/O low oil pressure switch activates and holds the fuel pump's relay closed.

The LOP switch continues fuel pump operation until engine shut-down.

The start-by-pass circuit is not a USCG requirement. However, the N/O Low Oil Pressure switch is a USCG requirement, and is in place so that fuel pump delivery is interrupted in the event of a non-running engine, and for reasons such as a ruptured or severed pump-to-carburetor fuel line.

In other words....... you will not see fuel pump operation unless one of two things occur:

...... starter motor is engaged.

...... oil pressure is up.

The pump itself should self-prime.

You may need to by-pass the start-by-pass and the LOP switch circuitry in order to do this!

[/color]
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I took off fuel filter and no fuel was in it,going to fill filter with gas and see what happens

Comment

Use Caution when working with gasoline in the engine bay!!! Run the blower. Gasoline vapor settles low in the bilge and stays there. Run the blower?
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I always wondered about those blowers,aren't they operated by an electric motor? What happens if it starts to fry and set off sparks?

Comment

Blower motors (and everything els electrical in the engine bay) are ignition protected units, just for that very reason.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Thanks,now I have some piece of mind

Comment

fuel pump clicking every couple seconds but no fuel in carb,do I need new pump

Comment

It does sound as if your fuel pump is not functioning properly. Did it ever work after the new engine went in?

Edit your profile settings and put your details in your signature. Year, model, engine,drive etc. it'll help narrow things down.
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Check for voltage while starting. ..
                      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                      93 3058 sold
                      92 2855 (day boat)
                      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                      Longbranch WA
                      Life is Good

Comment

It worked on old engine but not working on new,it is at least 15 years old

Comment

voltage is good

Comment

Run power straight to the fuel pump from the battery, see if the engine runs.
                            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Here is what I found,I removed pump from engine and placed bottom half in bucket of water,connected leads to battery and it shot a stream of water a mile high.I connected a volt meter to other connection and got 12 volts while starting.I connect the two together I get nothing!

Comment

Working...
                              X