Bayliner capri 2.3 has water in oil-gctid806594

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner capri 2.3 has water in oil-gctid806594

So i know i could have a cracked block or bad head gasket but was wondering if this seal would allow water to get in the oil ?

Attached files

Yes, if the manifold/elbow gasket has failed raw water can run down the exhaust port and into the engine. If the exhaust components are old they may be rusted away on the inner cooling jacket as well also allowing water down the exhaust port. As you know there are other possibilities.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

That could be your problem. Who used the silicon gasket sealer on the riser? They make special gaskets for this

and silicon gasket sealer should not be used.
      1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
      5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

"ken51k" post=806599 wrote:
        That could be your problem. Who used the silicon gasket sealer on the riser? They make special gaskets for this

and silicon gasket sealer should not be used.
        The previous owner did but i have the gasket to fix it correctly and was just hoping this might be the problem with the water in the oil because it runs well i just noticed the water in the oil after i got home from buying it, i should have checked before purchasing it

Comment

Got water on top of the cylinder nearest one to the elbow ?
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I haven't checked for it but i will look and see what i can find, I really hope its just that gasket as it should be super simple to fix and i really dont want to put tons of money into a 1987 bayliner but i do like the boat alot

Comment

#5 in the link !

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...ck-test#804700

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Ground the ignition coil take out all the spark plugs and crank over the engine. See if water shoots out of the cylinders. If so you need to get all the water out and spray fogging oil in there to prevent rust. Then drain and remove the exhaust manifold and look for water rust stains in the exhaust ports. If so the the water could have come in thru the exhaust if not the it could be other things like a blown head gasket or cracked cyl head ....

However if you have a blown HG, it will put water in the cyl and exhaust port. This can be misleading. So when you remove the riser look in the center exhaust gas passage for signs of water running down from the joint between the riser & manifold.
                88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Pressure test before you take it apart.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

So i took apart the manifold elbow to replace the gasket that the previous owner just used silicone on and this is what it looked like

Comment

Sorry i cant get it to load my pictures keeps saying file upload failed

Comment

So i compression tested it and i got 150,145,135,150 in each cylinder from front of motor to the back so im starting to lean towards a cracked block

Comment

Rule out the other causes first. Test the msnifold with acetone for leaks; do a leak down test, pressure test cooling system. There are a lot of ways for water to get into the oil. No water in cyls seen during comp test?
                          88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                          98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Nope no water seen in cylinders during compression test and i read how to pressure test the block but got confused as to what hoses to block and which one to apply compressed air to

Comment

Working...
                            X