Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5.7L (carb) Issues-gctid806263

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    5.7L (carb) Issues-gctid806263

    My 2003 245 with the 5.7L (carb) is having issues. I get smoke with soot and the idle stays high (>10k) even after it's warmed up. I'm going to start with a visual inspection and some carb spray cleaner. I'm wondering if the choke is not working properly.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    2003 Bayliner 245
    2007 Sedona F21

    #2
    "Douggy" post=806263 wrote:
    My 2003 245 with the 5.7L (carb) is having issues. I get smoke with soot and the idle stays high (>[strike]10k[/strike]) 1k :whistle: even after it's warmed up. I'm going to start with a visual inspection and some carb spray cleaner. I'm wondering if the choke is not working properly.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Good place to start. maybe the + wire came loose.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

    Comment


      #3
      Well, 1K is high. I agree...check the electric choke. All the symptoms are there.
      David
      http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
      http://www.davidladewig.com

      Comment


        #4
        Well, I took a look and found that the choke was still connected electrically, it gets ~13 volts when running the engine. I did however see that the choke was more than half way open at cold. I sprayed carb cleaner on the choke linkage and then adjusted the choke back to almost closed at cold. Started it up and it ran normal and the choke slowly started to open. After a few minutes I gave the throttle a goose and the choke opened up almost all the way. When I ran the rpm's up the choke would open all the way. The idle is now ~780-800 rpm's and run's pretty smooth.
        2003 Bayliner 245
        2007 Sedona F21

        Comment


          #5
          Sounds like you maybe had some sticky choke linkage then and she's running smoothly. Not sure what carb you have but another thing to check are the idle air bleeds around the air horn, they can become plugged up over time, this can also cause a super rich idle circuit.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

          Comment


            #6
            It's the stock mercruiser 2 barrel (#864943A01).

            If the choke was basically open when cold would that cause the symptoms I experienced?
            2003 Bayliner 245
            2007 Sedona F21

            Comment


              #7
              An open choke would only make it a bit harder to start. I would expect to see a closed choke when warm to see what you experienced.

              Doug
              Started boating 1955
              Number of boats owned 32
              Bayliners
              2655
              2755
              2850
              3870 presently owned
              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

              Comment


                #8
                Agree with Doug, idle may be a touch on the high side. Mine idles around 650-700
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

                Comment


                  #9
                  "dmcb" post=806442 wrote:
                  An open choke would only make it a bit harder to start. I would expect to see a closed choke when warm to see what you experienced.

                  Doug
                  I'm going to run it some more and see if the problem returns. With my luck it will return when I get it back on the water.
                  2003 Bayliner 245
                  2007 Sedona F21

                  Comment


                    #10
                    "builderdude" post=806444 wrote:
                    Agree with Doug, idle may be a touch on the high side. Mine idles around 650-700
                    I'll try lowering the idle and do some more carb cleaner.
                    2003 Bayliner 245
                    2007 Sedona F21

                    Comment


                      #11
                      "Douggy" post=806452 wrote:


                      I'll try lowering the idle and do some more carb cleaner.
                      Look into the upper area of the throttle bores. You will see several small brass air orifices that lead into the low speed fuel metering circuits.

                      Using the red "straw" on the carb cleaner spray can, give each one a good blast.

                      Wear eye protection!

                      This should clear out these passages that may have become blocked or restrcted.
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                      Comment


                        #12
                        "2850Bounty" post=806505 wrote:
                        "Douggy" post=806452 wrote:


                        I'll try lowering the idle and do some more carb cleaner.
                        Look into the upper area of the throttle bores. You will see several small brass air orifices that lead into the low speed fuel metering circuits.

                        Using the red "straw" on the carb cleaner spray can, give each one a good blast.

                        Wear eye protection!

                        This should clear out these passages that may have become blocked or restrcted.
                        Thanks, I'll try that.
                        2003 Bayliner 245
                        2007 Sedona F21

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X