Westerbeke Generator dies when Preheat Released-gctid806182

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westerbeke Generator dies when Preheat Released-gctid806182

I have a very strange problem with my Generator model 8BTD.

I have a 1999 Bayliner 4087 with a remote start Panel. There are no relays in the generator Panel box. I'm thinking the run solenoid is what provides the run function?

The generator will start and continue running until the preheat switch is released, then it dies. I have replaced the oil pressure switch and checked all 3 sensors and all are functioning.

I've tested voltage on the terminal blocks in the generator Panel. Block 1 pin 1 & 2 have 12 volts until emergency off switch is off. If I jump from pin 1 to block 2 pin 1, the generator remains running but the normal off switch doesn't work. Block 1 Pin 3 has 12 volts when preheat is engaged or when start switch is turned to "run" position. This starts the fuel Pump. After starting the generator, pin 3 still has 12 volts. However, when the preheat is released, the voltage drops to 0 for 10-20 seconds as the engine dies, then returns to 12 volts. I believe this is the problem (should remain at 12 volts to energize the safety sensors). However, I have no idea why it temporarily drops to 0 volts. Could the run solenoid be shorting or ?? Any ideas?
    1999 4087 with twin Cummins 270HP
    Custom Hardtop over Flybridge

I suggest you remove the wires at the starter solenoid and clean. They also feed other parts of the genny. I think you may find corrosion on a wire. The thinking is the preheat provides power from another source.

This is just a guess but cleaning connections can never hurt.

I can't remember exactly what the issue was with mine but the problem was with the wires I mentioned.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

My Westerbeke at times does the same thing of shutting down once I release the pre-heat switch. I found the solenoid that controls the throttle linkage on the generator was sticking not allowing the rpm to raise enough to close the pre-heat switch.. Once I freed it up and lubricated it problem solved though I do have to service it once in a while to ensure the rpm rises to the full charge requirements..

John
      16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
      17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
      25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
      32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
      41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
      38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
      1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

Comment

Our Westerbeke requires one of the engine circuits to be on at the panel. It will start without but will die after the starter is released.
        Steve & Cary Sober
        Woodstock, VA
        SURPRISE
        2000 Bayliner 4788
        Cummins 370's
        Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
        Kent Island, MD

Comment

Sounds like it might be a problem with the run-time solenoid.
          Dave Stephens
          2002 3988 "Chinook"
          Cape Coral, FL

AND

1988 3218 "Raven"
          Cordova, Alaska

(Yes . . 2 boat owner: A special kind of dumb!)

Comment

Well most likely it is the solenoid but if it works with the heat switch, I don't think its the solenoid itself. I have had a sticking solenoid and the genny only ran at about 1/2 speed. But it was sticking.

I think its voltage getting to the solenoid. The path from the start switch is good. The one that keeps it running isn't.

Again just my thoughts.

Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the solenoid wiring first then replace it if needed. Also check the fuel solenoid, although rpm 's seem fine.

Comment

If your fuel shot off (solenoid was bad it would be bad and wouldn't work with the preheat. Don't forget that preheat bypasses the oil pressure but also overheat could shut it down. Obviously it isn't overheated but perhaps it thinks it is. Not likely but a chance.

Could you temp. attach a known good 12 volt wire to the shut off solenoid and see if that keeps it going when you release the pre heat.

Doug
                Started boating 1955
                Number of boats owned 32
                Bayliners
                3870 presently owned

Comment

My 8BTD did the exact same thing last Spring.

I jumped the connectors at the oil pressure shutdown switch and verified that was the issue as the engine continued to run with the preheat switch released.

Placed a DMM on the switch terminals and the circuit "closed" when the engine started, as it should. I cleaned and tightened the spade connectors, reconnected to the switch, and the system functioned properly the remaining season. I suggest checking the oil pressure switch connectors, near the oil filter on mine.

Comment

"SuperiorDiver" post=806510 wrote:
                    My 8BTD did the exact same thing last Spring.

I jumped the connectors at the oil pressure shutdown switch and verified that was the issue as the engine continued to run with the preheat switch released.

Placed a DMM on the switch terminals and the circuit "closed" when the engine started, as it should. I cleaned and tightened the spade connectors, reconnected to the switch, and the system functioned properly the remaining season. I suggest checking the oil pressure switch connectors, near the oil filter on mine.
                    Had the equivalent issue on my previous boat. It was simply a wire not connected properly on the oil sensor. Fix took 60 seconds
                    Eric
                    Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Comment

I think you guys have narrowed down the problem. But this troubles me and makes me think it might be a big deeper.

The generator will start and continue running until the preheat switch is released, then it dies. I have replaced the oil pressure switch and checked all 3 sensors and all are functioning.

I think this is the area of the problem tho.

Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned

Comment

Turns out I think the fuel shut down solenoid is going bad. Checked voltages through oil pressure switch. All ok after start. However, voltage to fuel shut off switch drops to 6-8 volts when pre-heat is released. Turns out the fuel shut off releases part way. If I manually push solenoid open, voltage jumps to 12 and it holds, generator remains running. I cleaned terminals on start solenoid and fuel shut off solenoid and now System works fine. I also know if problem happens, I can manually hold solenoid open when preheat released and generator will remain on so simple fix if out on trip.

Comment

Working...
                        X