Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stringers replaced and now I have a vibration that wasn(39)t present before-gctid806025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stringers replaced and now I have a vibration that wasn(39)t present before-gctid806025

Hello BOC friends it's been quite awhile since I have posted. I have a question involving a vibration that is concerning me since having stringers replaced. I recently had my stringers replaced and of course motor was removed and reinstalled to complete this job. So this is my question when reinstalling the engine could it be misaligned causing this vibration or could the shift interrupter or something else be adjusted improperly causing this vibration. It can mostly be felt at low rpm in gear it can also be felt while powering but not as intense and is very hard to pin point any help would be appreciated. Of course the mechanic says he didn't touch the engine other than to remove it and reinstall it so that shouldn't be the problem. Thanks in advance.
    1985 Trophy Hard Top 5.0 liter OMC stringer drive.

Fishing is not an escape from life but is often a deeper immersion into it!

Sheboygan WI

D-LIMIT GREAT LAKES SPORT FISHING

Yes misalignment can cause this vibration .

SIS? I hardly doubt it.

Was the gimbal bearing replaced?
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

No it was not I was told that they rarely go bad do to the fact that it is immersed in gear lube.

Sheboygan WI

Comment

I am guessing the only way to repace or even check gimbal bering is to remove engine?

Sheboygan WI

Comment

How bad is the vibration? Boat/things shaking or is it more like a growl? If the former, it very well could be alignment (which should have been done if the engine was removed) and the latter points to the gimble bearing (particularly if it gets worse as you turn the leg left/right).
          Terry
          1999 Bayliner 3388
          Twin Cummins 4BTA
          Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
          Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

"Jasond" post=806035 wrote:
            I am guessing the only way to repace or even check gimbal bering is to remove engine?
            No, just the leg needs to be removed.
            Terry
            1999 Bayliner 3388
            Twin Cummins 4BTA

Comment

Seems to be more of a growl. I didn't know how to describe it but it was definitely a low sounding vibration.

Sheboygan WI

Comment

If it's a rumble/growl type sound it usually is a sign of a bad gimble bearing or possibly U-joint. It's only happening while in gear?

FYI - engine alignment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86gUZXZYtWY
                Terry
                1999 Bayliner 3388
                Twin Cummins 4BTA

Comment

Make sure we're all talking about the same thing. This is an '85 Bayliner with what sounds like an OMC Stringer drive.

If that's the case, there wouldn't be a gimbal in this boat. And it could transmit more vibration since the engine and drive are hard-mounted to the stringers.
                  Matt Train
                  BOC Site Team
                  Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Correct this is a 85 stringer drive.

Sheboygan WI

Comment

Good catch Matt. Assumed a Mercruiser drive.
                      Terry
                      1999 Bayliner 3388
                      Twin Cummins 4BTA

Comment

Sorry for lack of knowledge. So being a stringer it is not possible this is a bearing or misalignment issue? Should I be concerned about this vibration as something mechanical? If not would a different type of spacer under motor mount correct this proplem?The old one was wood the new one is plastic I know they sell spacer that are different materials.

Sheboygan WI

Comment

I would take it back to the person who did the work, throw them the keys and a "WTF, dude?" look, and tell them to fix it.

Rebuilding the stringers means work on the very area that would cause a vibration.
                          Matt Train
                          BOC Site Team
                          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Thanks just trying to gather as much ifo as possible before tossing my keys because he seems to think it's not his issue, and I'd like to be armed with as much ammo as possible.

Sheboygan WI

Comment

The OMC Devil Drive (aka "stringer drive") is one solid unit. No gimble bearing there.
                              2007 Discovery 246
                              300mpi BIII
                              Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Working...
                              X