Hypothetical question: installing a duoprop on a AQ125B/275-gctid805844

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical question: installing a duoprop on a AQ125B/275-gctid805844

So....i have an opportunity to acquire a 290 DP lower with 2.30 gearing at pretty much no cost other than my labor to remove it.

I've done my googling and haven't found a single reference to anyone putting these on a boat with an AQ125B (or other VP 4-banger).

The question is, would it be worth the effort? Thought I'd give the brain trust a shot at this.

thanks,

Jim
  • 2850Bounty
    Supporting Member
    • Oct 2003

The 2.30:1 would be the correct reduction.

If you are able to pick it up at no charge, and it only costs you your labor, O-rings and a few new shims. ....... you don't have much to lose by trying it .

Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model 31' LOA
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling systems
    Volvo Penta Duo Prop Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on the forum.
    If you leave a "post", rather than a "comment", our members will see recent thread activity!

Comment

Thanks Rick, I was waiting for your reply.

Comment

• 2850Bounty
        Supporting Member
        • Oct 2003

The swap is relatively simple.

You'll want to learn how to take the A and B measurements and to do the math for the NEW shim pack value.

The gear oil now changes from 30W Engine oil, to GL-5 gear lube.

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

If you leave a "post", rather than a "comment", our members will see recent thread activity!

Comment

• pmhinpc
          Frequent Contributor
          • Mar 2012

Volvo's stance on this was that the 4 cylinders didn't have enough torque to take advantage of the DP lower unit. They never offered for sale a 4 cylinder with a DP. Not even their top of the line 4 cylinder the 171. The 2.30 was intended for gas V-6 and small diesel. They never offered a gear ratio for use with the 4 cylinders. With that being said, I would have to agree with Rick in that you don't have much to loose by trying the swap. If props come with the lower, I doubt very seriously that they would be appropriate for your use. I would think that you would need a very small prop set, B1 or B2, judging by the size of your boat. If it didn't work out, you could always sell the lower and recoup the money that you put out. I for one, would be very interested in whether this would work or not!
          1996 2858 7.4L B2
          Soon to be
          502 Mag MPI 415 HP
          Volvo Penta 280 power trim 280 DP
          SP-C upper DP-D 1.78 lower
          Kohler 4CZ
          Panama City, Fl

Comment

• 2850Bounty
            Supporting Member
            • Oct 2003

"pmhinpc" post=806122 wrote:
            Volvo's stance on this was that the 4 cylinders didn't have enough torque to take advantage of the DP lower unit. They never offered for sale a 4 cylinder with a DP. Not even their top of the line 4 cylinder the 171. The 2.30 was intended for gas V-6 and small diesel. They never offered a gear ratio for use with the 4 cylinders. With that being said, I would have to agree with Rick in that you don't have much to loose by trying the swap. If props come with the lower, I doubt very seriously that they would be appropriate for your use. I would think that you would need a very small prop set, B1 or B2, judging by the size of your boat. If it didn't work out, you could always sell the lower and recoup the money that you put out. I for one, would be very interested in whether this would work or not!
            [color]#000088 wrote:
            You are correct..... the Duo Prop was not used on the OHC 4s. However, if a person was to try one, the only ratio that would be suitable would be the 2.30:1.

BTW, due to the fewer numbers of applications, a good used 2.30:1 DP lower unit is the least expensive to purchase.

It also offers the least stout gear set due to the smaller size of the drive gear relative to the two driven gears.

The E drives (for the smaller diesel engines) used a further reduction transmission that allowed the use of the 1.95:1 gear set (a stronger gear set) in order to come up with a final reduction of near 2.30:1. Be careful if/when mixing/matching E drive components.

Question: how were you able to mate a SP-C transmission to the 280 PT Intermediate housing?

If I recall, the SP-C transmission uses the large driven gear bearing.

The 280 Intermediate housing will not accept this larger bearing!

Just curious!

[/color]

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...