What engine belts for 7.4L Merc 1997 Carb(39)d-gctid397312

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What engine belts for 7.4L Merc 1997 Carb(39)d-gctid397312

My engine belts are showing a little worse for the wear and I do not have any spares (yet) I need to replace all the belts before one lets go. Who can give me a list of the belts I need. I have done some internet research and have come up with different answers. Anyone have a definitive list already sourced??

:surr

Tag them and take them off..Go to NAPA or Autozone or where ever and have them match them. Most parts houses have a belt sizer gadget and can match a belt in no time. That includes the serpintine belt too.

Vic

Ft Myers
    Vic Stewart SN
    Past Commander
    Cape Fear Power Squadron
    Ft Myers Power Squadron
    1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
    Raw water cooled

Comment

Thanks Vic

If anyone has the info handy so I can order the belts online without having to pull them first - I would appreciate it !!

Comment

Lizard wrote:
        Thanks Vic

If anyone has the info handy so I can order the belts online without having to pull them first - I would appreciate it !!
        The numbers are usually visible on the belts, so you dont have to pull them - you may have to bump the ignition a few times to see the numbers on the belts.

FWIW: I just replaced 3 belts on my 7.4 - I pulled them and took them down to the local auto parts store. If you are going to replace them anyway, go ahead and pull them. If the store cannot cross-reference the numbers then having the belts with you will save a trip and a few headaches.

Buy 2 of each belt - that way you can carry spares - especially the seawater pump belt - if that bugger goes you are dead in the water.

I would *not* buy belts online, the cost savings are not worth the wait or risking having to exchange an incorrect one, just buy them at an autoparts store near the boat.

There is 1 other point to be made here - Merc changes stuff midyear fairly often - the only way to know for sure what belts you need is to either get the numbers from your own belts or give a dealer your engine serial # so he can look up the correct belts. Merc does everything from engine/outdrive/transom mount serial numbers.

Take a picture of the serial numbers and keep it on your phone for handy reference.

Comment

Found em .... In case anyone else needs them. I will verify them when I get to boat...

Seawater pump 69143T

Power Steering 812427T

Belt 48122

Comment

Working...
          X