Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

454 RAT MOTOR-gctid805272

ok sports fans

how hard and how expensive is it to change big block raw water cooled to closed loop cooling

kevin

Mercruiser?

What year?

Half cooling or full cooling?

Fresh water engine or salt water engine?

Carb? MPI?

900 to 1300 not shipped.

If salt water block there will still be rust in the block which can plug the heat exchanger.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercru...38_82_114.html
    Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

not sure jsut looking but its a lake superior boat......1988 40' convertible...dont know what fuel delivery sys it uses...its a silverton

Comment

Fresh water boat leave it alone.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"Chief Alen" post=805286 wrote:
          Why?
          Pat. Sandpoint Ida
          I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

I think what he means is... if it is staying in fresh water leave it as is.
            1979 32 Uniflite Sport Sedan twin 270 crusaders
            2003 Bayliner 2152 210 Classic 5.0 mercruiser - sold
            I wish I knew now what I didn't know then

Comment

But closed cooling will let him boat into freezing weather or am i wrong?
              Pat. Sandpoint Ida
              I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

thanks all for the replys

will be using the boat in superior till sept ,then start the trip to tenn, with side trips up the cumberland , then the tenn, were hoping to get to pensacola ,, but with raw water cooling may have to forego that part of the trip. then sell and call the buckit list for boating complete. thanks again for the replies

kevin

Comment

"bkc914" post=805272 wrote:
                  ok sports fans

how hard and how expensive is it to change big block raw water cooled to closed loop cooling
                  [color]#000088 wrote:
                  Kevin, if you are fairly mechanically inclined, the task can be simple. With the forum member's assistance here, you can do it!

As for expense...... it will depend on if a new or used system, and/or if a Full or a Half system!

A Full system includes exhaust manifolds, whereas a Half system excludes the exhaust manifolds.

Exhaust Elbows will always be Raw Water Cooled!

As mentioned here...... existing rust scale will need to be monitored. I would suggest operating the new Closed Cooling system for XX hours and then removing and dumping the H/E coolant contents into a clean white 5 gallon bucket. Monitor the rust scale debris.

Repeat this in XX hours until the rust scale debris becomes minimal!

A Closed Cooling System allows for more than just freeze protection. Your cabin heater and water heater will now function more effectively, and will no longer require the coolant side to be drained upon decommissioning for winter.

.[/color]
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"Amadaies" post=805303 wrote:
                    "Chief Alen" post=805286 wrote:
                    Why?
                    [color]#000088 wrote:
                    Pat, I would ask the same thing!

If Kevin wants to inquire and possibly do this........ let's help him! [/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"Amadaies" post=805326 wrote:
                      But closed cooling will let him boat into freezing weather or am i wrong?
                      Well there is still some fresh water that can freeze. So if you think its now protected and nothing needs to be done, that would be wrong.

Is it worth doing under the projected use?

Maybe not.

Even if it hits salt, it is starting as a new motor with the problems salt creates. A system will last for years raw water cooled. Depending on the use and age, the engine and related cooling may outlast the engine mechanical life.

On the plus side of doing it. As it is a fresh water boat it can be added. If it spent its like on the Great Lakes, there will be no rust damage in the cooling system that will cause problems. .If it were a salt water boat the rust would continue and most likely clog a cooling system.

So if your going to do it, now is the time.

Is it worth it? Well only you can judge that.

Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I did post a link to the MM site with different kits.

MM has treated me awesome when I ordered my new engine and cooling kit.

And the prices are the same as others. Installation is a snap if you are mechanically inclined at all ( or have a buddy that is)
                        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Fresh water boat stays in freshwater i would leave it alone !

Didn't i post that already ?

Boat gonna be kissing saltwater the first time, then add the cooling system.

The Mutt, Doug alot of guys have installed them.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Let's all try to keep in mind that Kevin did ask; "how hard and how expensive is it to change big block raw water cooled to closed loop cooling?"

My responses have been per the question.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yes it has !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                              X