Solar panels-gctid805112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar panels-gctid805112

solar panels installed yesterday and wiring done today. waiting for my clamshell covers to put over the wire holes on the dodger.

Attached files

1992 4588
    WitchWay

Seadoo Wake 170

Looks nice.

A caution. Don't expect to see what is claimed to be the output.

The panels work best with the sun directly on them. They don't do well on an angle. You will do best in mid morning and mid afternoon and only when the boat is pointed towards the sun.

I have panels mounted as you have but also flat on the deck. I get a lot more out of the ones on the deck. I can monitor both separately.

Also solar will notice a little haze you don't. Or a small cloud.

Its nice to have whatever you can capture however.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I had 2 of the panels from my 2455 and picked up the 3rd panel new on Craigslist for half price. I know the location is not ideal, but it's the only place to permanently mount them that's out of the way. I'm happy with the way it turned out.
      1992 4588
      WitchWay

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

I'm installing 8 100w panel on my hardtop today will let u know how that work out
        1984 3870 bayliner

Comment

"oldcrow" post=805168 wrote:
          I'm installing 8 100w panel on my hardtop today will let u know how that work out
          8 panels..... wow.
          1992 4588
          WitchWay

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

I just spent the last hour watching a sailrite video about how to attach solar panels to a canvas top. I might have to try it. It looks interesting.
            1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

Hi Yachtman,

I'm very interested in watching that video. I searched the Sailrite site but could not find it. Was it one of their on-line instructional videos or was it a purchased dvd?

Thanks,

Greg
              Greg A.
              1994 4788
              "Simplicity"
              2002 Capri 175
              "Little GFI"
              Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

Comment

"tower3218" post=805428 wrote:
                Hi Yachtman,

I'm very interested in watching that video. I searched the Sailrite site but could not find it. Was it one of their on-line instructional videos or was it a purchased dvd?
                I've not seen the video either but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_d30fXuwko

The install look amazing. The only thing I would caution you is that the fabric appears to very slightly overlap the solar cells around the perimeter of the panel. If you do that, you can drop the output of the panel by 60-80% so carefully watch your measurements. Also, see how they have the wires running across the surface of the panels? That will short out a bunch of cells in the panel and render it close to useless - so don't do that!!!

The other thing I can suggest if you're not handy with the sewing machine (like me) is to use an adhesive called HH66. It creates a permanent bond between sunbrella and and panel surface and will bond sunbrella to sunbrella. You want to make sure you rough up any plastic surface with 80 grit to ensure a bond.
                Terry
                1999 Bayliner 3388
                Twin Cummins 4BTA
                Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

"TenMile" post=805441 wrote:
                  "tower3218" post=805428 wrote:
                  Hi Yachtman,

I've not seen the video either but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_d30fXuwko

The install look amazing. The only thing I would caution you is that the fabric appears to very slightly overlap the solar cells around the perimeter of the panel. If you do that, you can drop the output of the panel by 60-80% so carefully watch your measurements. Also, see how they have the wires running across the surface of the panels? That will short out a bunch of cells in the panel and render it close to useless - so don't do that!!!

The other thing I can suggest if you're not handy with the sewing machine (like me) is to use an adhesive called HH66. It creates a permanent bond between sunbrella and and panel surface and will bond sunbrella to sunbrella. You want to make sure you rough up any plastic surface with 80 grit to ensure a bond.
                  Yep that was the video I was watching
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

WOW. hmy: That looks pretty overkill. Not sure I'd run the panels over top the frame.

I'm going to attach my 4 panels thru reinforced sunbrella with small machine screws, large washers and locknuts.
                    Sea Venture
                    2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
                    Cruising the PNW and beyond.
                    DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                    MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                    Drinks well with others.

Comment

Ahh, won't work for me. I'm plan to install 3 rigid panels up on top. I guess I'll have to build a frame above the bimini. I have a marina-mate that did that on his 4588.
                      Greg A.
                      1994 4788
                      "Simplicity"
                      2002 Capri 175
                      "Little GFI"
                      Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

Comment

Working...
                      X