GREASE FITTING BROKE-gctid804800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GREASE FITTING BROKE-gctid804800

Hey how you doing I have a 2005 305. When I went to GREASE the gimbal bearing grease fitting on the housing one of the grease fittings popped off and looks like the threads on the housing itself might be stripped ... I try to screw it back in but it tightens a little bit and then just gets loose and falls back out any ideas

Hey guys when I was greasing my gimbal bearing grease fitting it popped off when I went to screw it back in it tightens a little bit then gets loose and Pops back off any ideas thank you

Comment

A couple of ways you could fix it. Easiest would be clean it up and coat the threads with a liberal dose of JB Weld and reinstall. Give it overnight and see if it'll hold.

Another way to do it would be to repair the thread with a heli-coil or jump up to the next size. Most are 1/4-28 thread, but you could rethread to the next larger size. They come in sizes like 1/4"-NPT and 5/16-24 thread. Either would grab a stripped 1/4"-28 thread.
      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Thank you I was thinking about the J-B Weld but if it didn't hold I thought maybe that would just give me more work and then I thought about jumping up to the next size and seeing if it will grab onto the stripped thread on the housing. So are you thinking that jumping up to the next size thread on grease fitting will hold on to the strip thread on the housing?

Comment

You could tap it next size up metric maybe.
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"Chief Alen" post=804826 wrote:
            [color]#000088 wrote:
            That may work as well.

If the threads are now 1/8" TP, find the correct tap drill size for 1/8" TP and carefully drill the hole a bit deeper.

With the correct TP thread tap, chase the threads a bit until they clean up.

Now install a grease fitting with an extended tube.

Several styles are shown here. (click on the image of the brass/bronze fittings)

[/color]http://cz-newnuro.en.made-in-china.com/productimage/tBWQxlNoESVZ-2f1j00BNnaIEHhZgbF/China-Long-Type-Grease-Fittings-Grease-Nipples.html

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=804834 wrote:
              "Chief Alen" post=804826 wrote:
              [color]#000088 wrote:
              That may work as well.

If the threads are now 1/8" TP, find the correct tap drill size for 1/8" TP and carefully drill the hole a bit deeper.

With the correct TP thread tap, chase the threads a bit until they clean up.

Now install a grease fitting with an extended tube.

Several styles are shown here. (click on the image of the brass/bronze fittings)

[/color]http://cz-newnuro.en.made-in-china.com/productimage/tBWQxlNoESVZ-2f1j00BNnaIEHhZgbF/China-Long-Type-Grease-Fittings-Grease-Nipples.html

+1 Best way IMHO
              Newport, Oregon
              South Beach Marina
              1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
              Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
              Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Thanks guys...luv this club

Comment

One very important thing nobody mentioned. If you do drill it out and tap new threads make sure you clean the hole out good.

I would spray it good with brake clean and blow it out. If you don't clean it out you could and most likely will pump metal

shaving into the gimbal bearing when you grease it.
                  1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
                  5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

"ken51k" post=804890 wrote:
                    One very important thing nobody mentioned. If you do drill it out and tap new threads make sure you clean the hole out good.

I would spray it good with brake clean and blow it out. If you don't clean it out you could and most likely will pump metal

Liberally coat the drill and the tap with grease. Carefully pull them out, clean them, and re-grease them often.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Norton Rider's comment is a good one. Another thing you can do is to use a length of clear vinyl tubing attached to a shop vac. The drill bit goes through the tubing at an angle near the end of it so you have vacuum for getting rid of the cuttings and you can still see your drill bit.

Greg
                      Newport, Oregon
                      South Beach Marina
                      1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                      Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                      Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Well good news I went out and I bought another fitting the same size and it had some kind of Loctite on it apparently the old grease fitting thread's were damaged. I put the new fitting in today snugged it up an and greased it and so far so good. Thanks for everyone's help

Comment

"ken51k" post=804890 wrote:

Don't mean to be picky but I fail to see how blowing in a hole with grease that is bottomless is going to keep out shaving. You will just push them in the grease more. Just where you don't want them.

Doug
                          Started boating 1955
                          Number of boats owned 32
                          Bayliners
                          3870 presently owned
                          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

You gotta suck it not blow it .... :evil:

Am i gonna get banned for this ?
                            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Well this really sucks.....Don't take any advice from me, I'll tell you to blow when you should be sucking.. :woohoo:
                              1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
                              5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Working...
                              X