Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild Kit for this Jabsco Water Pump ?-gctid804788

Hello all, I could use some help:

I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for this Jabsco crank mounted raw water pump (just came out of my 1980 25' Saratoga CB):

It has the number 22301 on it -- but I can't find anything on the internet, and a call to West Marine was no help. I sent an email off to a Jabsco part dealer, as well. I'm hoping this isn't rocket science. I really just need seals... had a leak out the bottom.

Any tips, ideas, or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Shelly
    Shelly
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
    Volvo Penta 225D &
    AQ280 outdrive

- My boat (every photo, ever -- for reference and progress log)
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/esPXUY

Got the seals out:

The number:
    Shelly
    originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
    Volvo Penta 225D &
    AQ280 outdrive

Comment

Shelly, that Jabsco seawater pump was OEM in 1980. That makes this pump about 36-37 years old. In 36-37 years, all of the previous impellers have no doubt caused some scaring at the inner thrust surface and at the inside of the cover plate..... not to mention that the impeller cam is likely showing some signs of wear.

(btw, the Jabsco crankshaft seawater pump has been out of production for quite some time now)

Can it be rebuilt?..... yes!

Can the parts be found?...... yes!

Would I rebuilt it?...... NO!

It looks like the small volume seawater pump. If so, the Johnson F5B-9 is a direct replacement.

If by chance it is the large volume seawater pump, the F6B-9 is a direct replacement.

(the three longer mounting bolts would need to be changed to shorter bolts)

Take a look at this recent BOC thread.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...mp-replacement
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I agree that replacing an old water pump with a Johnson F5B-9 or F6B-9 is a good idea. My Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI was factory built with a belt driven pump that was not only difficult to service, it was prone to failure.

After replacing the original with an expensive OEM part once and then getting tired of its difficult-to-service location, I chose to change my setup to a direct drive Johnson F6B-9. This is a far more drastic change than your already crank mounted Jabsco. Mine required changing the serpentine belt size and routing, whereas yours would not. The Johnson pumps can run in either direction. The placement of your intake line depends on the direction of rotation.

In short, I have been happy with my F6B-9 raw water pump. It puts out adequate water flow and the impeller is readily available and easy to replace.

Comment

Can I just say, I LOVE YOU GUYS!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for setting me straight and providing the link! I have a new "Jabsco F5B-9" equivilent Johnson ordered, and a rebuild kit for my spares. They will be here Saturday. Yes, I'll remember not to buy Jabsco replacement impellers for this Johnson pump -- thanks for that tip!

My brother brought my custom heat exchanger down from San Juan Marine -- the last part required to finish up the transition from raw water cooling to closed. We noticed a leak from the bottom of the water pump while we were testing. Glad to find and replace these things in the driveway. This boat is now mere weeks away from its very first dip into salt water. Newport here we come!

BOC rocks!

Shelly
          Shelly
          originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
          Volvo Penta 225D &
          AQ280 outdrive

Comment

When you install the new seawater pump, make sure that you understand the 3 bolt pattern and the 3 possible indexings!

The 3 bolt pattern will actually allow the pump to be installed in one of three indexing positions....... but ony 1 out of the 3 will index the base flange correctly.

(see imaged below)

By the way....... the 3 old bolts for the Jabsco were long since they had to penetrate the longer base mount.

The 3 new bolts will be much shorter due to the much lower profile base flange of the Johnson seawater pump.

Socket head cap screws and SAE washers works best!

By the way #2....... the F5B-9 and the equivilant volume Jabsco share the same impeller...... the # 1027B .

It's the F6B-9 and the large volume Jabsco where the impellers differ to the tune of only .090" in depth.

This is what parts people get wrong, and it may cause severe issues if not observent when purchasing a replacement impeller.
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=805209 wrote:
              When you install the new seawater pump, make sure that you understand the 3 bolt pattern and the 3 possible indexings!

The 3 bolt pattern will actually allow the pump to be installed in one of three indexing positions....... but only 1 out of the 3 will index the base flange correctly.
              [color]#0000bb wrote:
              But only one pattern/position will work/fit -- correct?[/color]

By the way....... the 3 old bolts for the Jabsco were long since they had to penetrate the longer base mount.

The 3 new bolts will be much shorter due to the much lower profile base flange of the Johnson seawater pump.

Socket head cap screws and SAE washers works best!
              [color]#0000bb wrote:
              Thanks for the tip -- on it![/color]

By the way #2....... the F5B-9 and the equivalent volume Jabsco share the same impeller...... the # 1027B .

It's the F6B-9 and the large volume Jabsco where the impellers differ to the tune of only .090" in depth.
              Well, I misspoke... I put both the F5B and F6B in my cart but haven't purchased one yet. It was a new Water Intake Hose Connector for the outdrive (solving a 'water prime' mystery), and a Volvo-Penta Stern Drives, 1968-1991 Manual that I ordered. [color]#000088 wrote:
              Since the F6B is $23 cheaper and provides 'extra flow', any reason I couldn't/shouldn't get it instead of the F5B-9 (other than the extra care regarding impeller size) ??[/color]

Thanks again!

Shelly
              Shelly
              originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
              Volvo Penta 225D &
              AQ280 outdrive

Comment

Measure the depth of the existing pump body.

If it measures close to 1.900" the F6B-9 is correct!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X