Sanitation hose replacement, $hitty job!-gctid804258

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanitation hose replacement, $hitty job!-gctid804258

As Holodeck is being launched Thursday This week (YEAH!!!!!) I found time to get the sanitation hose replaced on this 1994 Carver 390 CPMY. I ordered 75' of Trident hose and heavy duty clamps. This project SUCKED! However, I know I will not get the odors I was getting topside. I even used 5200 on every joint and double clamped each joint. The hardest part was finding a friend who was scrawny enough to fit in the bilge. Well, I have one and this man could barely get there. The second hardest part was running a new length from the aft cabin master to the front of the starboard engine. It took us 9 hours, start to finish. However, marina price was $2900.00 so I know I saved a few dollars. LOL, and I wanted a TWO head motor yacht! Now that its done, great! Next time I may buy one that has been replaced already.

I saw my former Bayliner, "NEW BEGINNINGS!" she is not the shiny boat I once owned! I feel so sorry for her, as she now bobs on a mooring, rather than sitting proudly at a slip!

Launch is Thursday so stay tuned!
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Did you use a hose connector duct taped on the pull the new hose in with the old hose being pull out? Or did someone install the hanger straps tooo tight on the old hose to do that?

Not familiar with that boat is the reason for the questions?

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Sealant should not be used with sanitation hoses. Bayliner and others did it for production reasons. If a clamp was left loose they did not have to go back and tighten it.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=804272 wrote:
        Sealant should not be used with sanitation hoses. Bayliner and others did it for production reasons. If a clamp was left loose they did not have to go back and tighten it.
        +1 Pity the poor soul who has to deal with it the next time it requires attention. Add the fact that 5200, being permanent, is not the best choice for something that will eventually need to be replaced again some day.

Greg
        Newport, Oregon
        South Beach Marina
        Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
        Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Heat will release 5200. A heat gun on the fittings should do the trick.

Doug
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

"dmcb" post=804439 wrote:
            Heat will release 5200. A heat gun on the fittings should do the trick.

Doug
            Did not know that. Good to know it now.

Greg
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina

Comment

I used 5200 on all my sanitation fittings and hose connections. Even without heat the 5200 will let go, just upgraded my head and was pleasantly surprised the 5200 released so easily. It doesn't adhear well to smooth plastics but has good filling capabilities, that's why I used it.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556
              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Hanger clamps WAY too tight! It was done the old fashioned way, Yankee Ingenuity! Seriously, It really sucked!
                Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
                1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
                454 Merc Cruisers inboards
                "HOLODECK"
                2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
                www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Working...
                X