1995 Trophy Kicker Motor Advise-gctid803961

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 Trophy Kicker Motor Advise-gctid803961

I have a 1995 Trophy Model 2002 and would like to install a kicker motor. I contacted Bayliner support and they said that since a kicker was not an option for that model year, they would not offer any installation advice. I have a Mercury 150HP as my main power. I would like to install a Mercury 9.9 HP kicker motor. Has anyone installed a kicker on this model year? I thank everyone as this site has been very informational to me. I just purchased this boat last summer and it is my first boat. It needed to be reconditioned and one of my last projects will be a kicker motor. My questions are:

1) Would this size motor be an acceptable size for trolling and emergency power?

2) Will the transom support the extra weight of the motor and mount (aprx. 100 lbs.)?

3) Where is the best / strongest location for the motor mount?

4) What size shaft would I need and what should the finished motor prop height be?

5) Any other considerations?

My initial thoughts are to mount it right above the scuppers as the transom seems thicker in that area.. Is there normally a reinforcement plate added to the inside to help with the support? I am sorry that I don't have a detailed drawing of the transom.

Thanks again to everyone on this site.

Lamar

Lamar

That would be a yes.

Attached files

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Long Shaft.

Set so it is out of the water on plane but below the hull when lowered. 9.9 2 stroke pushed it just fine
      Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Alaskanmutt

I would need to mount my bracket in the same location. I am in PA and my boat is in VA right now, so I cant check dimensions, etc. Do you remember what the transom thickness was at the mounting location and did you need to add any extra thickness on the inside for extra support. Do you remember if your kicker is a long (20") shaft and not an extra long 25" shaft? Also when the motor is down is the tiller handle still easy to reach and operate? I wish the boat was here so I could answer my own questions. Thanks for all the replies

Lamar

Comment

The stern was 3/4 inch if I remember (wood backing) I put a metal backing plate on it (always use a backing plate with fiberglass)

If I remember it was a long shaft

And I could reach the tiller but had to lean over to do it (I no longer have this boat)
          Boatless at this time

Comment

I had this bracket built, I did not trust the factory adjustable ones to keep things in place when trailering long distances.

Comment

Working...
            X