1988 2655 hull composition and thickness, transducer install.-gctid803733

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Thanks for the info. I am actually more interested in the GPS-Navionics that this unit offers than the actual fish finder part, not related to the transducer. The fish finder-bottom mapping that the transducer gets into is wanted, I'll enjoy it quite a bit. I guess I'll see how well it works with a through hull transducer. Interestingly, Humminbird sells the same transducer as the transom mount without the transom bracket, but with a packet of epoxy, as the shoot-through-the-hull transducer kit. They do state that the signal loss will affect the quality of the information received.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    The reason they don't recommend shooting through the hull is the signal loss that can occur. I've had mine shoot through the hull for many years and yes, there is some degradation, but not enough to have me do an external transducer. As far as selecting a placement, I want it to be in an area that is well in the water when up on a plane. For me that is just in front of the engines at the bottom of the keel.

You are probably going to need to buy a bronze, threaded transducer and some fairing blocks if you decide to go external. Mounting from the transom, in my experience, makes it difficult for the unit to maintain the solid connection with the water it needs to give you a reading.

I hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Ruffryder
    replied
    Fiberglass, no core, about 10,11/16" down there.

Leave a comment:

• 1988 2655 hull composition and thickness, transducer install.-gctid803733

I am looking at installing a transducer for a Humminbird Helix 5 DI in my 1988 2655. There is no desire to drill holes in this boat's hull, so I am looking at a shoot-through-the-hull install, setting the transducer in epoxy. The pros at Humminbird do not recommend this method, but it's my boat. The question I have is this. Does anyone have knowledge of what the hull is made of on the bottom, straight fiberglass or cored, and how thick is it? Any other thoughts about transducer placement are welcome. I am undecided as to location, whether in the bilge in the engine compartment, in front of the water tank, or wherever access to the bottom is possible.
Working...
X