Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittant problem: sometimes engine will not exceed 2500-3000 RPM.-gctid803615

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captharv
    replied
    "Pcpete" post=803657 wrote:
    Rant away! Some shop managers refuse to help the do it yourselfer and wan $150 an hour or more when they can get to you....I about a month.
    I did not ask a shop manager or tech. I read the manual.

Last year, I actually had a service manager refuse to sell me parts because I would not bring it to him to fix.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    Rant away! Some shop managers refuse to help the do it yourselfer and wan $150 an hour or more when they can get to you....I about a month.

Leave a comment:

• Intermittant problem: sometimes engine will not exceed 2500-3000 RPM.-gctid803615

On a cruise to ST Augustine from Daytona,. If I idled for more than a few minutes, the engine would not exceed 3000 rpms. If I kept the throttle open, after a few minutes or so, it would rev up and plane out. While running there was no other issues. The temp gauge read what its supposed to regardless of whether or not it was running right.

I got out the book and it discussed the S.L.O.W. mode. If the engine exceeded a certain temperature, the T-bolt computer limited the RPMs to cool it off. I some troubleshooting and determined the temp sensor for the t-bolt may be bad. I got a new sensor. My handy DVM said it was 2200 ohms or so. The one which came out of the engine read open circuit. So, I slammed the old one down and it read 2200 ohms. I am now sure that was my problem..

All that said, time for a rant. The new engines in boats, and especially cars, use many computers to achieve best performance, fuel economy, and least pollution. Problem is: they are hard to troubleshoot and repair. On my boat, a carb'd 350 with a t-bolt V, there is NO plug in computer which would let a person even with mediocre technical ability to repair. In cars, they have the OBD I. Granted its only a guide, but its something. When I went thru auto shop in high school, the cars were: carbs, mechanical fuel pumps, pints, condenser and coil ignition systems. A set of open end wrenches, socket set and some screwdrivers. And you., did not have to take apart an engine to change the plugs..

New technology? IMHO, its great, when it works......
Working...
X