Holding Tank Leaking-Repair/Removal Questions-gctid803206

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding Tank Leaking-Repair/Removal Questions-gctid803206

I have a leak somewhere in the waste system on my 2001 2855. I noticed it last summer that I was getting some waste in the bilge. It appears to be running from the aft of the holding tank but I haven't determined the exact source yet. It is time to tackle this problem and I couldn't find too much info of a similar issue. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks before I start tearing things apart. My plan was to try to inspect the hoses and fittings as much as possible before I resort to removing the tank. How easy is it to remove the tank? Is there enough room to work around with the motor installed? I appreciate any insight. I will also start a sign-up sheet for volunteers to help out. Beer and refreshments will be provided. :lol:

Ok, so not alot of responses. How about this then; For those that have replaced the lines running to the tank, how did you replace the inlet (to the tank) line? Did you have to un-mount the tank first and pull the line out through the bilge? There is a hose clamp that holds that line onto the tank fitting and it is in a very inaccessible area. I don't see ever being able to get that line back on if I remove the tank and have to remake that connection when remounting the tank.

Comment

You're going to have to throw in more than beer and refreshments for that job!

For a start, fill your tank with water and pump out or macerate out.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Trick

Start using Noflex before you have to take it apart One week will be all you need 3 treatments

This will minimize the smells and sludge you will find in lines

Put a little in the bilge to neutralize the waste

Comment

+1 on more beer, and knowing where to show up would help too.

You can replace a significant amount of your straight runs of hose with schedule 40 PVC pipe. There are smooth adapters for attaching hose and it saves a bunch of cash. You may not be thinking hoses, but if they look like they are original and they are cleaned to work on the tank, it's as good a time as it's going to get.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Well I think I may have dodged a bullet here. I was able to trace the leak to the intake line for the macerator. The hose is leaking at the connection so It should be as simple as pulling it off and resealing it. The way it was leaking made it look like the leak was coming from the backside of the tank which is why I was planning to pull it. I will also be getting a monitor to better track the tank level to prevent any future pressure buildup on those lines from the tank being over filled.

Comment

While you're working on it, make sure the vent line is clear. When we bought our 2855 the vent line was clogged with dead insects and no air could vent out. After a few flushes the tank would start inflating like a basketball. I removed the vent hose and cleared the outside vent and then the hose with compressed air. It did the trick.

Comment

I just replaced the holding tank last month in my 1990 3288 after a few months of trying to figure out where the leak was coming from. After going through the entire system from the toilet to the tank, including flushing the vent hose with compressed air and looking at the types and condition of the hoses it came down to a cracked holding tank. The plastic used in the holding tanks become less flexible over time especially if they have been stressed by overfilling. The fellow who ordered the tank made the tank larger and added a access point at the top of the tank to aid in manual rinsing if needed in the future. Good luck with your project!
                "Scandia Lady"
                1990 Bayliner 3288. Twin 135 Hinos.
                Westshore Marina
                Gig Harbor, WA

*1975 Glasply
                135 Evinrude E-Tec mounted on an Armstrong Engine mount.
                Greater Puget Sound
                *1992 Ski Nautique
                351 Ford
                Lake Tapps, WA

Comment

I replaced my 13 gal tank with a 26 gallon one when I ordered the new tank I had them put in a 3/4 inch fitting for the vent line and I used a 3/4 inch

through hull. Now when I pump out I can put the the water hose to the through hull and flush it out also. With the bigger vent I have no odor at all.
                  1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
                  5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Working...
                  X