2655 Shore Power questions-gctid397014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2655 Shore Power questions-gctid397014

Hello all, I just purchased a '97 2655 and was wondering what can be done about shore power. My question is I have 2 30amp 125v connectors on the side of my boat and one of them runs my onboard A/C unit. The problem I'm encountering is most marinas only have a hookup for 1 30amp 125v connection. Am I missing something; can I only run my A/C and noting else in the cabin and switch it when I need to run other stuff in the cabin? Do they make a Y splitter for 30amp 125v and if so are they safe to use? Sorry for such a newbie question; but at this point I'm kind of stumped!! Thanks in advance!!!!-----Tim

Welcome, and yes they make a splitter. I use one and like it very much.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3904354...Types&var=sbar

Unfortunately, they are not cheap. I looked for a while and scored one for like $85.00.

Comment

Thanks Iceclimber!! I just wasn't sure if the A/C used all 30Amps and I would blow the circuit breaker or start a fire. But it sounds like it'll be ok to use a splitter. You're right; they are pricey!!! Thanks again!!

Comment

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but each side is rated for a full 30 amps. Your breakers are downstream and will blow if you exceed pull on either side/main breaker. I can't see a risk at the plug or connectors. Just ensure they are seated and spin down the locks. I run everything including reverse cycle a/c. No problems ever.

Comment

Not knowing all the devices you have on board it's hard to know what you can power at the same time.

On our boat the big draws are the Air Conditioner , Stove and Water Heater. We never run the stove and air conditioner at the same time. If we run both at the same time we would trip the breaker on the dock.
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Yes, we have the same boat and I wondered the same thing during our first summer. The air conditioner is on the one plug- in, everything else is fed off the other. So, you either have to run two seperate cables if you want the air to work along with the fridge, battery chargers etc., or get a splitter. I have done both. Get the splitter. The only time you would have a problem would be if you tried to use the electric stove at the same time as the air. You would then likely exceed 30 amps and blow your dock feed breaker.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the responses!!! I'm going to get the Y-splitter!!! I'm glad to hear this is the way to go. Thanks Again!!!---Tim

Comment

Working...
              X