OMC Riser Hoses-gctid802981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMC Riser Hoses-gctid802981

I've been following a thread about replacing riser hoses. How do you know when these need replacing? I've felt mine and they seem okay, but I have no clue how old they are nor if they need to leak before I have to replace them. I'm of the mind that if it ain't broke, leave them alone!

Based on my photos, mine are very different than the ones in the other photos, but they are double clamped.

How will I know when they need replacing?
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

IMO If the rubber exhaust couplers are still pliable without any evidence of cracking or splitting I'd think you'd be fine. Mine were in good condition but the interior had some crusty stuff where they made contact with the Y pipe. I just cleaned it off with a wire brush and reinstalled.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"builderdude" post=803030 wrote:
      IMO If the rubber exhaust couplers are still pliable without any evidence of cracking or splitting I'd think you'd be fine. Mine were in good condition but the interior had some crusty stuff where they made contact with the Y pipe. I just cleaned it off with a wire brush and reinstalled.
      Excellent, Dave.

Since the boat has had very little use over the past 9 years, those may have been changed when they rebuilt the engine, because they appear to be in quite good condition. Even though that was in 2008, the engine has about 100-120 hours on it since, most of those hours being mine. But I will add inspecting them to my regular maintenance protocol.

I'm glad this topic came up on another thread. Funny, the more I read on here, the longer that list gets. Who knew boating could be so ....educational! :woohoo:
      "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
      MMSI: 367637220
      HAM: KE7TTR
      TDI tech diver
      BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
      Kevin

Comment

Working...
      X