bearing protector removal-gctid396990

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bearing protector removal-gctid396990

I was replacing a rim/tire today because I noticed a bulge in the tire sidewall.

My wheel hub is a little loose so I need to snug up the bearings.(I put new bearings and bearing protectors in it when I bought it in California about 1500 miles ago)

Well the bearing protector is being a pita to get off. They are the standard 1.980" ones but they were really hard to get on when I changed them last month. I think they were outside the manufactures tolerance (made in China, probably use a piece of string to measure it instead of a micrometer).

So, how do I get them off without ruining them? Use a bigger BFH?

Try a rubber mallett works for me. Keep rotating hub and hit it at several different spots. It will come off.

Comment

Green, are you asking about a standard spindle/hub cap,

an EZ Lube spindle/hub cap......,

.....or a Bearing Buddy?

Take is easy with either of the first two.

You can use a rubber hammer on the BB's.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I'd say use a BIG hammer on the last one (BB's) to make sure no one uses them again after they went into the trash.....

Comment

Ones like these:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...I&merchID=4006

I think they are like bearing buddies.

Rubber mallet wont budge it. It's chrome so id hate to take a pipewrench to it.

I usually put a 2x4 on it and wack the 2x4 trying to put outward pressure on it, but these ones are tight. They were a bit!# to get in there. Took a lot of whacking and frustration.

I might just pull the c-clip out and extract the guts of it, but I won't be able to get the cotter pin out so that really wont do me any good.

Comment

Plastic deadblow - smack it good!

Comment

green650 wrote:
              Ones like these:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...I&merchID=4006

I think they are like bearing buddies.

Rubber mallet wont budge it. It's chrome so id hate to take a pipewrench to it.

I usually put a 2x4 on it and wack the 2x4 trying to put outward pressure on it, but these ones are tight. They were a bit!# to get in there. Took a lot of whacking and frustration.

I might just pull the c-clip out and extract the guts of it, but I won't be able to get the cotter pin out so that really wont do me any good.
              Same type of "Rear Seal Killers" (RSK) as the BB's..... Take them off and use normal dust caps instead. If you have one of these EZ-Lube or Sure-Lube spindles the RSK covers are the worst you can do. For standard spindles they should NOT be filled with grease "just for fun". Once the interior of the hub is completely filled with grease do NOT fill them up again as they WILL ruin your rear seals and all the grease which will come through the rear seal will end up on your brakes.....

I currently have BB's on my hubs as I recently installed disk brakes and unfortunately don't have EZ-Lubes. They will be removed soon as the hubs are almost filled with grease now. Around 100mi of running them was enough to get the required amount of grease in.

Comment

I have a .190 (mic'd at .195) that I bought a while back. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it in until I mic'd it. Quality control is not what it used to be. You need to get it off, and I wouldn't worry too much about damaging it, it will come off with enough "whacks" and rotations. Hit it every 20* or so, and eventually it will come off.
                Bob Hawes.
                Kelowna, B.C.
                1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Use a piece of 2x4 and lay it on the bearing buddy then smack it with the hammer while holding it. I usually just use the hammer straight to them, it does put small dents in them but once the dust cap is back on you don't see the dents. Most of the time people are usually losing them off the hub. When you get them off clean them up with a little emery cloth and re use them, it sounds like they should stay on for you.

Comment

I upgaded from a bfh to a 12pound hand held sledge. That did the trick.

Comment

green650 wrote:
                      I upgaded from a bfh to a 12pound hand held sledge. That did the trick.
                      Proof that Bigger is Better!
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                      X