Contessa 2850 raw water pump replacement-gctid802703

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contessa 2850 raw water pump replacement-gctid802703

I have a Contessa 2850 with a single VP 260 engine. The water pump could use replacing but I can't get a good number off of the part.

Can someone please verify the part number so I can get the exact replacement ?

What I can read is only 841, the rest is worn off. The cover is also stamped with 8508.

Upon scouring the internet, I got these numbers.. 841640 / replaced by 857451.

Now I also read that if the boat was in fresh water it should be running a higher volume pump. (WHY???) If so, what is that part number?

Thank you!!

JJ

If your OEM seawater pump has six cover screws, it is the old Jabsco.... and is NLA.

If the old impeller measures 1.990" in depth, it is the large volume pump.

The large volume pump is not necessary for your AQ260, whether RWC or fitted w/ a CCS.

The Johnson F5B-9 will work as a replacement.

Impeller width is approximately 1.240".

Impeller p/n is 1027B, and can be found easily.

Here is a brand new F5B-9 for $140.

http://marinepumpdirect.com/johnson-pump-10-24915-01/

Keep in mind that the 3 bolt pattern for the crankshaft pump flange will allow for 3 mounting indexes...... of which only ONE is correct.

Something else to keep in mind (if using the large volume pump) when it comes time for impeller replacement:

The small volume Jabsco and Johnson seawater pumps share the same impeller.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply, as always your expertise is appreciated!

The link you provided is actually for the high volume pump (F6B-9) which is cheaper! Hmmm...

If you had a choice, which would you choose, the high volume pump (cheaper) or the standard volume ($23.00 more) ?

Would the engine care either way?

Nothing is a clear cut as one would hope.

Thanks!

JJ

Attached files

Comment

"wndswpt" post=804026 wrote:
        Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply, as always your expertise is appreciated!

The link you provided is actually for the high volume pump (F6B-9) which is cheaper! Hmmm...

If you had a choice, which would you choose, the high volume pump (cheaper) or the standard volume ($23.00 more) ?

Would the engine care either way?

Nothing is a clear cut as one would hope.

Thanks!
        [color]#000088 wrote:
        JJ, I can't explain why the F5 is more expensive. Most often the F5B-9 is the one that is on sale.

I would go with the F5 under the guise that there's no need to supply more seawater than what the system was designed for.

Also, the F5 impeller (1027B) is much easier to find.

[/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, plus I already have a spare impeller for the F5.

Thanks again Rick!

JJ

Comment

I need the same pump, and have been researching the "Are they interchangable?" difference between the F5B-9 and F6B-9 "Extra flow".

Specs indicate they physically differ in size (pump and impeller), but essentially the F5B is for small block and the F6B is for large block engines. I also found info regarding the relationship between water volume and water vacume pertaining to engine size... enough to convince me I should just keep it simple and buy the pump sized for my Chevy small block (Volvo Penta 225D), even tho the F5B-9 costs a bit more (oddly) and pumps a bit less.
            Shelly
            Willamette Valley, Oregon
            originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
            Volvo Penta 225D &
            AQ280 outdrive

- My boat (every photo, ever -- for reference and progress log)
            https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/esPXUY

Comment

Thanks for the link to marinepumpdirect, just ordered one for my boat as it was leaking a little and getting worse. Talked to them to ensure it was a match before ordering and they were great to deal with. Saved myself 165$ even with exchange and delivery compared to the stealership. :woohoo:

Comment

"Special K" post=806069 wrote:
                Thanks for the link to marinepumpdirect, just ordered one for my boat as it was leaking a little and getting worse. Talked to them to ensure it was a match before ordering and they were great to deal with. Saved myself 165$ even with exchange and delivery compared to the stealership. :woohoo:
                Ditto the "Thanks!"

Me, too... plus it was a 37 yr old pump! They were responsive, helpful, knowledgable, shipped promptly -- and my "best price on the internet" pump arrived a day early!

(Lol... 'Stealership' :cheer: )
                Shelly
                Willamette Valley, Oregon
                originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
                Volvo Penta 225D &
                AQ280 outdrive

- My boat (every photo, ever -- for reference and progress log)
                https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/esPXUY

Comment

Working...
                X