Shake out run-gctid396941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shake out run-gctid396941

Got my out drive service complete. Alignment, impeller and seals. Will put it on the hose tomorrow. What is the best way for me to ensure all is well? How do I check for water in fluid? Any suggestions for a shae out run?

After you put it all together before you add the oil pressure test and vacuum test the drive. If you already have oil in the drive you can still pressure test the drive.

After you run the engine on the water you can pull the top plug and look for milky oil.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

The top cap is held on by 4 bolts and then pops off with a screwdriver wedged in the slot. That gives you a cleat view of your bearing and the condition of your gear oil. Very easy to check this way instead of trying to peak through the tiny hole in the side.

Comment

I have the gear oil monitor. Will that show water in the oil? Or will it be too late once I start seeing an issue there?

Comment

Nope that wont. The alarm goes off when the level of the reservoir is too low. If you have water in the outdrive, fluid isnt going to be low and it isnt going to make it's way back into the reservoir.

So take that cap off everyonce and a while to see the condition of your oil. If I would of done that last summer when I bought my boat I would have seen it was dry and it would of saved me $1600 for buying a new outdrive and $650 for a mechanic to finish installing it.

Comment

Working...
          X