Replacing Faria Beede Fuel Gauge Problem???-gctid802427

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Faria Beede Fuel Gauge Problem???-gctid802427

I am having a problem with my new fuel gauge reading full even when the gas tank is half full. I replaced the sending unit last fall and now the fuel gauge stopped working this spring so I had to do some modification to get the new one in, crimping new terminals onto the wires, because the old gauge the harness plugged directly onto the gauge where this gauge I had to screw the terminals on. I narrowed it down to the fuel gauge, because I was getting 60-80 ohms at the sender and at the wire harness at the fuel gauge, while the gauge still read empty on the old gauge. I hooked the new gauge up as follows, (RED) sender, (BLACK) ground and (PURPLE) ignition and now I get a reading on the new gauge above full. Can someone verify I did this correctly? Even if I have the sending unit out and the arm all the way down, the gauge still reads full.
    1999 Bayliner Capri 2050 (5.0L)

I just got done rechecking the ohms at sending unit and at the terminals and they match appropriately to the position I have the float set to. The only thing I can think of is that the original gauge reads different ohms then the new gauge. They don't have the resistance labeled or marked anywhere on the new gauge or in the installation manual and I have no idea what the resistance would be on the old gauge, so I guess I will have to call Faria on Monday.

Comment

I just LOVE crawling under the dash, flashlight jammed down my throat, trying to "slither" along the carpeted floor to get into position, working above my head in those W-I-D-E open areas behind the dashboard.....don't you?

When finished though, it makes it all worth it...

Good luck with the gauge. I had an issue with my Faria depth sounder and they took care of it with a replacement, No Questions Asked even though the boat was already 4 years old. No cost... my experience working with them was very good personally...
      Lake Hartwell, GA
      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
      1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
      1996 SeaDoo GTX
      1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

LMAO!! Yes, couldn't imagine a place I'd rather be. The only thing I have left to try is connecting the gauge to new wires, which Im sure is pointless in doing, beings I already have the same resistance at the sending unit as I do at the wire harness connecting to the gauge.

Comment

Update on the new fuel gauge problem...Disconnected gauge from wire harness under dash and hooked it up directly to the sending unit with jumpers and same thing (gauge reads full). I then added another jumper from the negative battery post to the gauge, so that it had two grounds going to it, then everything worked normal on the gauge. If I disconnected either of the grounds from the gauge, it would go back to full. I thought at first it had to be a bad ground going to the harness under the dash and was getting ready to run a new ground wire, but I tried the gauge installed again with the existing ground I had hooked up previously and everything worked as normal. So there was no rhyme or reason why the gauge did not work the first time having it hooked up, just a fluke and bad luck I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X