Steering help....-gctid802366

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering help....-gctid802366

The steering on my 1995 Trophy 2002 is VERY tight. It turns, but it takes some muscle to turn it. I saw what looked like grease fittings on the cable near the motor. Is it as simple as just greasing it up? Or do I just need to replace my steering cable? Thanks.

Nick

The grease fitting on the tilt tube greases the pivot points of the tilt tube only. I had a similar issue with my 1800 years ago. A Steersman steering guard resolved my issue. It's easy to install and keeps your steering cable greased and the corrosion out. My steering never felt so good

Goes here.

Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Think this would solve my issue, or is it too late? If needed, could I just buy a new steering cable and run it from the wheel and back to the motor? I am looking to fix this before the striped bass season really takes off here in my part of NJ. Im always afraid something may happen with my steering since its so stiff.

Comment

Don't know where your located, pull the cable take it down to lockwood, and match it up.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Nick, please fill in your profile and/or signature. It helps others know what kind of boat you have and what geographical area you are in.

I don't think that you need a new cable. You need to pull the cable from the tilt tube. If there's a lot of corrosion inside you may need to tap it out carefully. Then get a shotgun cleaning rod, brush, and mop. You can also buy a dedicated steering tube Cleaning brush and/or reamer. Use some solvent and the cleaning tools to clean the inside of the steering tube. If it's badly corroded and you do not have a reamer, you can use some sandpaper taped to a rod, attached to a drill. Clean the steering cable and lube it lightly with grease or oil. Do not use a lot of lube because it can cause a hydraulic lock. Put it all back together.

Look up, cleaning an outboard tilt tube in youtube. There are a few videos showing the process.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Don't hammer on the end of the cable. It will mushroom and make it more difficult to get though the tube if not impossible. If you have to tap on it use a wood block to protect it. When mine was frozen I used a heat gun to heat the tube. Put something between it and the fiberglass to protect it. Mine was seized if yours is just stiff it may not need such drastic measures.

Comment

I am not far from you Chief Alen, I am in Monroe.

Comment

MT Jeff, I do have my boat year/make/model in my signature. I will add location next. And thank you for the advice. I will try that.

Comment

Good advice, thank you. I am going to disconnect the cable from the motor and see if it turns freely then so I can figure out if it is the cable or the engine pivot that is tight.

Comment

Look under my avatar.
                    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Looks like my tilt tube needs cleaning, the old grease in there is all caked up. My steering cable it free when I disconnect it and turn the wheel and feels smooth. Will be cleaning the tilt tube and then using white lithium grease spray to re-lube it and get it back to smooth. Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Took apart the tilt tube/steering cable. Cleaned and relubricated it all and it is like a whole new steering system now. Its great! Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Awesome! Now that it's cleaned up you'll likely be able to apply sideways force to the OB engine and have it spin the wheel. Look into the steersman gaurd for ease of future lubrication.
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556
                          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                          Misc. projects thread
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I am able to rotate the motor now completely freely! It is great!

Comment

Working...
                            X