Water in outdrive / drive shaft bellows.-gctid802325

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in outdrive / drive shaft bellows.-gctid802325

I understand, pretty sure anyway, that when I sealed up my outdrive last year, I must not have cleaned the surfaces well enough. I just pulled the drive so I can pull the engine due to those issues, and a bunch of water came out.

Now, knowing it's my fault.. I lay no blame.

I do however ponder what sort of damage could this do / have done? This couldn't have caused the water in my engine, right? Short of causing premature corrosion... what should I check?

I have a full outdrive service planned as far as bellows, pump, cables, throttle, ujoints etc before she hits the water this season - if she hits the water .

Attached files

Crash Override
    1989 Bayliner 2455
    Ford 351W (5.8l) OMC Cobra
    Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

long story short no way water in the drive an get into your engine.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

long story short no way water in the drive can get into your engine.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"Chief Alen" post=802331 wrote:
        long story short no way water in the drive can get into your engine.
        Cool, didn't think so.. But stranger things have happened ...
        Crash Override
        1989 Bayliner 2455
        Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

Comment

im on my phone latter ill follow up what i would so dont take the drive apart yet.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

It's good that you caught it. The damage risk would be to the internal's will be to the ujoints and gimbal bearing. You may choose to replace them all on general principles. The ujoints are probably just fine, but if they are the original "never need to be greased" type, they may actually need grease. I had two sets that were under greased on my Alphas from the factory.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

"Chief Alen" post=802335 wrote:
              im on my phone latter ill follow up what i would so dont take the drive apart yet.
              Sounds good. I'm off to pull the engine out tomorrow, so I won't be getting to the outdrive for some time. Most of them parts are sitting in a box at my Marina waiting for me, ordered them a few months ago.. Wasn't expecting to have to rebuild the engine though.
              Crash Override
              1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

I was down to the shore near me with my buddy, we always go about a month or 2 before spring, find some crazy bargains and i am looking, ain't gonna be boatless forever.

What this means for you ?

Say many boats blown off racks, stands, dropped.

Perfect mechanicals, ins. co. paid off and now the boat is for sale, i mean some crazy deals.

Perfect donor boats.

Ok pull the drive, pull the engine, pull the inner transom and see the hole, what does it look like ?

Builder and others know what i mean.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Oh, I know. That's why I keep putting sweat into this boat. For 1989 boat. There is nothing wrong with the hull, at all. So I have one half of a perfect puzzle worth the work and effort. Unfortunately, up hear engines and drives fetch a pretty penny and then some, and I've yet to see any wrecked hulls for sale with drive trains in them at all.

"Chief Alen" post=802394 wrote:
                  I was down to the shore near me with my buddy, we always go about a month or 2 before spring, find some crazy bargains and i am looking, ain't gonna be boatless forever.

What this means for you ?

Say many boats blown off racks, stands, dropped.

Perfect mechanicals, ins. co. paid off and now the boat is for sale, i mean some crazy deals.

Perfect donor boats.

Ok pull the drive, pull the engine, pull the inner transom and see the hole, what does it look like ?

Builder and others know what i mean.
                  Crash Override
                  1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

Working...
                  X